You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gutter or gap between publisher spread pages

The glib answer is to not put anything in there. Are you wanting a gap between the two pages as you view them on the screen in the application? Or are you wanting an area on the pages where you cannot have anything show up on the pages regardless of whether or not you have placed a photo or put some text or other graphics near the inner edge of the spread? A sort of auto erase function?

If the first, a gap visible in the Application only then the answer is no.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This is for a newspaper layout. In Indesign you can use the page tool and move the page so there is a gap. That way it looks more like the newspaper page (with the gutter). It makes it easier to have things go off the edge without effecting the adjacent page in the spread. 

17 hours ago, Bryce said:

makes it easier to have things go off the edge without effecting the adjacent page in the spread. 

If you are used to working like that then I guess the only way would be to use single pages instead of double pages.

I am curious as to how that would handle a two page photo or headline though. Do you just keep those pages together?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

... I am curious as to how that would handle a two page photo or headline though. Do you just keep those pages together?

The graphic needs spit as well. However, there is a script to do that available. It'll find any frame that spans a spread that has been split apart and dupe the frame, position them and adjust them.

The two times I've ever needed to split pages at the spine has been with smallish booklets having inside bleeds and the companies at the end decided to spiral bind them. Splitting at the spines allows for the inside bleed not to cross over to the opposite side like a typical spread does.

I guess I could use Designer to make the initial document but the guide manager doesn't work with all the artboards right, does it?

I did successfully do our first newspaper edition this week using Publisher instead of Indesign. It actually worked without too many problems. No showstoppers and the separations looked okay for the most part. Some of the ads that gray was specified ended up separating as RGB converted to CMYK and I'm not sure why. If you made sure ahead of time that the color in the ads were 0 0 0 100 then the colors translated to the correct plate.

6 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I did successfully do our first newspaper edition this week using Publisher instead of Indesign.

Congratulations.

Not sure I understand why you would want this. I would think a newspaper would be similar in layout to a magazine spread as the binding is in the centre, just without the staple. If you are working in facing pages you see how it would look when printed and opened up. Am I missing something here?

30 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I initially created the pages shown above as a practise of breaking up a facing pages spread layout to one that simulates the way InDesign supports creating a single page layout to be set up as a facing pages layout with gaps to allow bleeds on spine edges (typically needed for spiral bind). It can be done in Designer ...

I personally wouldn't ever use AD for such a thing. Nor would I use any application that doesn't have native text threading capabilities, etc. But yep, it could be done. 

8 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Not sure I understand why you would want this. I would think a newspaper would be similar in layout to a magazine spread as the binding is in the centre, just without the staple. If you are working in facing pages you see how it would look when printed and opened up. Am I missing something here?

I am thinking it is a request for more "Artboard" space. Newspaper flats are huge and to scroll past an entire page to grab some item off the artboard is a tad onerous. Just guessing though.

28 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am thinking it is a request for more "Artboard" space. Newspaper flats are huge and to scroll past an entire page to grab some item off the artboard is a tad onerous. Just guessing though.

When I need more artboard space I just make the bleed really big. Indesign you can do a 6" bleed. Publisher is more open, I just setup with a 100" bleed box. This would increase your artboard space. 

50 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Publisher is more open, I just setup with a 100" bleed box.

The maximum:

apu_max_bleed.png.72ab4081ef55fe938340ce7f26623544.png

= 256000 pixel

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2