You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Serious Raw File Color Bug for Photography

Camera: Panasonic GH4

Mac OS Version: 11.2.2.

Affinity Photo Version: 1.9.2

------------

Affinity photo ruins Bokeh and color of Raw files.

I don't know why... The program changes something automatically that I do not intend.

Whenever I import Raw files into Affinity photo, Bokeh and color are ruined automatically even though I do nothing.

Other basic program on Mac shows same, but only Affinity Photo shows difference. 

When I changed Raw file to TIFF on Mac and imported it into Affinity Photo, there was no problem on TIFF. Same Bekeh, same color, same look that I can see on other programs.

Only RAW file has a problem when I import it into Affinity Photo.

Any thought? help? Is this a kind of bug??

스크린샷_2021-04-05_오전_10_21_33.png

Edited by Jiho Lee

I would lower the contrast in the Affinity RAW develop persona for a start.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Jiho Lee,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I remember having seen a couple reports of similar issues with the purple contaminating RAWs opened it Affinity in similar contexts (blues and bokeh/highlights). Do you mind attaching the original RAW shown in your screenshot so i can add it and update our report (or fill a new one if required). Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 6:32 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Jiho Lee,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I remember having seen a couple reports of similar issues with the purple contaminating RAWs opened it Affinity in similar contexts (blues and bokeh/highlights). Do you mind attaching the original RAW shown in your screenshot so i can add it and update our report (or fill a new one if required). Thank you.

@MEB

Sorry for late.

I just check this out right now.

I attach the RAW file I mentioned as you asked me.

And I want to add one more comment.

I changed my camera from Panasonic GH4 to Canon EOS RP. And I experience similar problems with Canon RP's RAW file, which is that something is changed and different with other programs when I import RAW files into Affinity Photo. I hope this would be helpful for you to fix the problem.

Thank you for your work and I will wait the update day! 

P1590042.RW2

On 4/23/2021 at 8:22 AM, Jiho Lee said:

changed my camera from Panasonic GH4 to Canon EOS RP. And I experience similar problems with Canon RP's RAW file, which is that something is changed and different with other programs when I import RAW files into Affinity Photo. I hope this would be helpful for you to fix the problem.

Hi,

for Canon RAW files CR2&CR3, it is next to impossible to get identical results in Affinity Photo, unless you  select the “Picture Style” neutral, and modify its settings to reduce sharpening to 0.

When using any other Picture Style, especially Auto or Standard, in-camera JPG will always severely differ from Affinity’s output, and it is next to impossible getting similar results (to Canon’s automatic) with manual adjustments.

In addition to picture style, you would need to strictly keep settings influencing image capture to off or zero, except exposure compensation and White Balance. Affinity Photo ignore nearly all settings when opening Canon RAW files.

Some “ignored” settings are:

• Picture Style (sharpening, Hue shift, Saturation, Monochrome, Color Filter, ...)
  • Highlight Tone Priority (unsure)
  • Auto Lightning Optimizer
  • Digital Lens Correction (Refinement based on object distance, Dual Pixel, ...)
  • CA Correction in Photo is sub par to Canon

Settings read by Photo:

• Exposure Correction 
  • White Balance
  • Basic Lens Correction (Barrel, Vignette, ...)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

for Canon RAW files CR2&CR3, it is next to impossible to get identical results in Affinity Photo, unless you  select the “Picture Style” neutral, and modify its settings to reduce sharpening to 0.

When using any other Picture Style, especially Auto or Standard, in-camera JPG will always severely differ from Affinity’s output, and it is next to impossible getting similar results (to Canon’s automatic) with manual adjustments.

In addition to picture style, you would need to strictly keep settings influencing image capture to off or zero, except exposure compensation and White Balance. Affinity Photo ignore nearly all settings when opening Canon RAW files.

Some “ignored” settings are:

• Picture Style (sharpening, Hue shift, Saturation, Monochrome, Color Filter, ...)
  • Highlight Tone Priority (unsure)
  • Auto Lightning Optimizer
  • Digital Lens Correction (Refinement based on object distance, Dual Pixel, ...)
  • CA Correction in Photo is sub par to Canon

Settings read by Photo:

• Exposure Correction 
  • White Balance
  • Basic Lens Correction (Barrel, Vignette, ...)

Your information is helpful for me to use my EOS RP. 

Thank you!

And back to the original question, I just mentioned about RAW files, not JPG.

The problem was "Same RAW files, different Output in Affinity Photo with other programs".

Other programs have the same result when I import RAW files into them. But Affinity Photo has a different result with the same RAW file.

Anyway, thank you again for your comment! I could understand how Affinity Photo program operates.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Photos are uploaded: https://www.dropbox.com/request/Engu0X17MkJkULxdHfiY

I am using Affinity Photo 1.10.4.1198 on Windows.

The problem is that somehow photos in NEF format are more RED, or they have strange RED artifacts.
Especially, in my case, I did them in 1600 ISO, so it might be also bug reported in (*).

You will see screenshots from: Fast Stone Viewer (free tool), Light Room and Affinity Photo. Displaying is getting worse in the same direction as listed here.

I have not very strong theory, that in fact green color is shifted to the left, at least I have such a feeling by looking at histograms, but this is not scientifically confirmed.

So the dominance of the "red" is only an optical effect.

And those errors are nor possible to repair by simple levels, gamma changes or white balance changes.
As well as decreasing of the clarity does not help at all as it is not really noise, but shifted to red areas.

If you need more examples, I have a couple of more shots like that.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Seweryn.

(*) 

• Staff

Thanks for the files @Seweryn, much appreciated. This seems indeed the same issue we have logged previously. It's not clear what's going wrong here but it's not limited to NEF files. Some RW2 and ARW files also present similar issues. I'm passing the files to the dev team and updating/bumping our report to bring this up again to their attention.

I am getting the exact same thing.  I did some UV glow photography last night.  When I look at the images in photo viewer, they look great, but when I import the raw file into Affinity, the colors look exactly like the bokeh example above.  Now, I need to import my raw files into Photoshop or retake in JPEG.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "Purple Coloration in some raw files" (REF: AF-1593) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2192".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff

The issue "Raw file renders with a purple cast" (REF: AF-1571) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2192".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.