You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a stack crashes every time with OpenCL

afx

Hi,

this happens on 1.9.1 and also 1.9.2. I have 13 JPGs (Created by Capture One) each from 6-10MB.

I open Photo and create a new stack with auto alignment. No matter whether I have live alignment set or not, the program crashes before showing anything. It creates crash dump files.

This is on a Quad I7 Lenovo x1 Yoga with 16GB of RAM, 620GPU and the March Windows updates applied.

This happens when OpenCL acceleration is activated.

It does not happen when OpenCL acceleration is deactivated.

cheers
afx

You just have to live and life will give you pictures. – HCB

This error pattern has already been dealt with many times here and you have already worked out the solution yourself. 

Currently, there are problems with OpenCL in many different device configurations. Deactivating it is the most effective remedy here.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hi afx,

Disable OpenCL for now until further fixes are made.

During the beta, we only had a small number of testers (internal and external) so the possibility of catching every crash/bug with OpenCL was nothing short of impossible.

OpenCL works for most but there are also a number of people who it does not work for at the moment. This is primarily due to drivers. I notice you are using a Lenovo which if it is anything like Dell/Alienware (and I suppose many others) can ship with all sorts of random driver packages. Your 620 should be working fine, try and remove any Intel drivers and get them from the official channels - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620

I am speaking from experience here as I have an Alienware that was shipped with all sorts of horrendous software and drivers. It was a nightmare to sort out so I ended up formatting it and reinstalling a clean Windows 10 on it.

We've also had previous issues with Capture One:
https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014022737-Affinity-crashes

I also have a Lenovo Yoga running INTEL (R) UHD Graphics 620 and had problems with AP 1.9.2 when hardware acceleration is used.

After reading that others have fixed their problem by updating the 620's graphics driver, I tried to do the same. It wasn't that simple. First via Windows Update, next via Lenovo Vantage, but both said an update was NOT available.

Finally, I found an update utility from Intel (Intel Driver & Support Assistant) which updated my driver to a 2021 version, and all is good now with OpenCL.

Thanks Chris,

the funny thing is, it also crashes on desktop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti, so it is not specific to the Intel GPU.

And the latest C1 always has an OpenCL error when processing the first image of a batch after restart.

So my assumption would be that this is some common Windows driver rubbish, as this all started only recently.

(I must admit I only use Affinity Photo every blue moon for tasks that cannot be handled by C1)

Reading Petes Post seems to point to getting original Intel drivers. Will do, maybe that also fixed my 0aD game scaling issue on the laptop.

EDIT: Looks like I have an up to date driver already, It only differs in the Build number, not major/minor.

cheers
afx

• 3 weeks later...

OffTopic

The driver dilemma can be avoided by installing Windows 10 clean, without the crap that is pre-installed and installed by the OEMs.

I always register the device (PC/laptop) with Microsoft, write the latest Windows version to a USB stick, using the MCT (Media Creation Tool) and then install Windows clean. 

Windows usually already knows most of the devices and installs rudimentary drivers. Now you can download and install the latest drivers from the device manufacturers (e.g. Intel, NVIDIA, AMD and others). When the device (PC/laptop) is fully set up, you make a backup and can fall back on a clean installation in the event of an error.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 4/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, afx said:

Hi,

this happens on 1.9.1 and also 1.9.2. I have 13 JPGs (Created by Capture One) each from 6-10MB.

I open Photo and create a new stack with auto alignment. No matter whether I have live alignment set or not, the program crashes before showing anything. It creates crash dump files.

This is on a Quad I7 Lenovo x1 Yoga with 16GB of RAM, 620GPU and the March Windows updates applied.

This happens when OpenCL acceleration is activated.

It does not happen when OpenCL acceleration is deactivated.

cheers
afx

Capture One causes crashes in the NVIDIA driver, see the following post for more information:

10 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Capture One causes crashes in the NVIDIA driver, see the following post for more information:

As I wrote above, this is an Intel 620GPU, not Nvidia.

cheers
afx

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Oh sorry, I saw your comment about an "Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti" and assumed that was the same machine.

Yes, I also have crashes on the big box with the Nvidia, but as the same workflow crashes on the Laptop with the Intel GPU, me thinks this is a different issue.

cheers
afx