You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My cook book is about 300 pages long. I have it in a single Publisher project.  My computer is pretty nice, but some operations in Publisher are clearly slowing down.  Also, Publisher freaks out and I have to restart it about every hour (for example, I am unable to edit text fields - nothing selects, or the delete key starts inserts little unicode boxes into the text.)

Should I be making smaller projects and somehow merging them?

Computer? Operating system? CPU? Graphic card? Memory? How many fonts installed, activated and used in document? How many images placed?
So many variables…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

So I am not complaining about the slowness, as such.  It's a gaming computer with a adequate graphics card and memory.

There are something like 50 portraits of luminaries, really only 1 font in use (trusty Times New Roman), though it is used in a few different sizes, with some bolding and italics here and there.  I have added maybe 3 fonts to what comes with Windows normally.  I don't know if they are activated in the document. I never heard of 'activated'.

What's a "normal" project look like?  One book per project? This is project #1 for me. I haven't a clue what constitutes normal.

2 minutes ago, Tony Ennis said:

Windows

Then I can't help much, sorry.

1 minute ago, Tony Ennis said:

I never heard of 'activated'.

On Mac, you can deactivite fonts you rarely use and activate them only when needed. That can be done either via the built-in Font Book app, or with a 3rd party font manager.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, Tony Ennis said:

I *think* they are linked. That's what I wanted.  How can I check?

Go to Document > Resource Manager.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well, well, well.  All the images are linked.  Except 2.  These aren't from my book. They are images I posted to this forum while asking for assistance. How they got embedded into my project I don't know.  Probably me spazzing on copy/paste.  How else?  Amusing.

image.png.56e611a4390e88abcb81517d8dd00027.png

Yep, they are real.  They were not visible on the page.

image.png.22683ddd6dad1a7e992318f0f342b9d7.png

They're gone now, lol.

Hi Tony With reference to your original question, starting with smaller projects and then merging them at the end is how the Serif team produced the Publisher Workbook (over 500 pages).  You can read an interview with the project leads here: Creating the Affinity Publisher Workbook.

Obviously, you're stuck with your current project in its single file for now.  While you've said that the spec of your PC should be more than adequate, I wonder if Publisher is best configured to make use of what's available?  It might be worth tinkering a little with some of the Preferences > Performance settings…

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

6 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Are your ìmages linked or embedded?

This affects the size of the file when saved, not during processing, when the data must still be loaded into memory.

7 hours ago, Tony Ennis said:

It's a gaming computer with a adequate graphics card and memory.

As Lukáš asked, how much RAM you have available? Its sufficient size is absolutely essential for data processing.

Try running Task Manager, and find out where the CPU resources are running out (where the bottleneck is - RAM, disk, ...).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Do you already use the latest v1.9.2 Win version of Publisher?

You have to analyze what slows down and results to that behavior you initially described. Also make for sureness some backup copies of your document and all the needed resources (you can tryout that packaging feature additionally, though I wouldn't rely only on that here).

If you find out that the whole 300 pages in just one document might be the overkill for the app, than try out additionally if possibly merging documents (and thus a structuring into seperate TOC, chapters, index etc.) helps here or not.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

See also:

There might be still some undetected/unfixed memory handling issues also in Publisher v1.9.2.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2