You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HDR Merge Alignment Problem

Shot on a super sturdy tripod, Nikon Z7, VR/IBIS = OFF, Z 24-70 2.8 S @ f/8, @ 24mm. NEF (0, -2, +2 stops) directly loaded into "New HDR merge", Auto align images set to Perspective, no noise reduction, Tone Map unchecked, Auto remove ghost: tried both, no difference, this is kinda not aligned:

2021-04-04_11-15-46.thumb.png.136999ccddcfbb05cdbed54d496f8caa.png

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Hi @MEB - Upload to link provided: Done. :) Happy analyzation 👍 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,
Thanks for your feedback/report. Do you mind uploading the bracketed shots for inspection using this upload link please? Thank you.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

I say thank you for forwarding to R&D - glad I could help.

FYC: I have the same/similar issue when using uncompresse ARW from a Sony 9M2 (24 megapixel, FE 24-105 f/4 G OSS, no tripod, 5 images 0, -2, -1, +1, +2) it's the same thing - but only if working on raw files: shifted alinement, + heavy chromatic aberration. If I export first to jpg (usually with Capture One (1)) and stack the jpgs, it's fine.

The Z7 has 46 megapixel.

(1) besides: please get in contact with C1 and help them to implement native support of .afphoto

28 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks for the files Roland. Issue logged to be looked at.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

@MEB, the ARW are also uploaded as well as the sooc jpgs. Keen on your results. FYC: the ARW protect of course much more details, specially in the highlights. That's how I detected this: first I used the jpgs of the Sony to do the HDR merge and after sending the merge result into Tone Mapping persona, I wasn't satisfied with the highlights. So, I did the same with the ARW, highlights OK, but chromatic aberration. In opposite to the NEF, the ARW are shot handheld, OSS and IBIS on and the image alignment looks to my opinion better. This is possibly because the 9M2 has 24 megapixel, where the Z7 has 46. However, the Z glass is superb, the Z 24-70 2.8 S anyway.

10 hours ago, MEB said:

Do you mind uploading the uncompressed ARW source files from the Sony 9M2 which are giving you the same issues using the same upload link please? They could be helpful to test against the new/revised code eventually. Thanks for your support.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Hi @MEB, have the ARWs also been properly uploaded to the link you provided? Uploading the NEF I got a confirmation mail from the dropbox system, no such so after uploading the ARWs (already converted to dng, I also uploaded the JPGs sooc).

Forget the question above, just realised the 2nd Dropbox info I got in German instead of English, so searching for "upload" in my mailbox couldn't find it ("hochgeladen" in German).

On 4/7/2021 at 3:53 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,
Do you mind uploading the uncompressed ARW source files from the Sony 9M2 which are giving you the same issues using the same upload link please? They could be helpful to test against the new/revised code eventually. Thanks for your support.

Edited by Roland Rick
additional info

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 1 year later...

Hello @Roland Rick

Not sure how relevant this may be for you 16 months later, but from my limited tests today I can report (drone acquired) HDR alignment issues using Affinity Photo 1.10.5.1342 (Windows 10 Pro) were mitigated by saving 16-bit .tiff after first removing chromatic aberration from the DNGs using Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) CS6. See examples below where the topmost merge was straight from the (3) bracketed DNGs, the middle merge from the 16-bit tiffs, both using Affinity Photo, and the bottom from a tone mapping merge using different HDR software and the same 16-bit tiffs.

Alignment is a top concern ahead of the stitch because the aircraft is never exactly in the same place.

604053492_chromaticaberationstudy.PNG.e0aa340291e67ba54f41a46a220c4f98.PNG