You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel values for Affine (offset) filter please

As a workaround, it's possible to type the percent value in decimals, even though it is not displayed.

For example, typing 50.4 will still display 50, but will actually offset by 50.4. With trial and error it's possible to get the exact offset you need.

Same for the Rotation field: even though I have set my preferences to 6 (!) decimal places for degrees, the Rotation field ignores it and displays integers only.

In general, this opaque "feature" of rounding the display of values does more harm than good.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

And on a second thought, this all looks more like a bug to me than a feature request…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...

Yes, the ability to toggle between percentage offset and exact pixel offset is a needed feature.  The workaround of typing a decimal does function (even though the UI will only show whole percentage integers) but it is a crude solution that breaks the user out of the editing flow to fiddle with decimals or their calculator.

For example, here is the corner of an image that is 512x512 pixels (zoomed in 2600%). 

image.png.e82a652a1920d9a8d81a111c13760c94.png

If I want to slide the image 3 pixels to the right (with image Wrap extend mode) I can "guess" that the offset should be 0.6% but this is wrong.  You can see the pixel to the right of the pink pixel is starting to bleed pink because 0.6 is not an even division of 512 and this will blur the image when Affinity Photo interpolates the translation.

image.png.6cc0997051c3b865e69c9e154d251a1d.png

To get a correct offset I need to find out what percent 1 pixel of a 512 pixel image is.

100 / 512 = 0.1953125

So if I want to move exactly 3 pixels I need

0.1953125 * 3 = 0.5859375

I don't know about you but I can't calculate that in my head so I had to waste time doing math for something that should be simple: An option for Pixel offset instead of Percentage offset in the Affine filter.  The workaround is unnecessarily complicated and detracts from the core workflow.

image.png.cc0160132b4898e98b00a07ee4f4873c.png

• 1 year later...