You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stop Affinity From Auto-Zooming to Fill Screen When Resize?

Currently, if I resize a document or crop an image, etc., Affinity fills the screen with it. When working with a very small image (like cropping out an icon from a sheet of icons), this can result in a zoom that is in the hundreds (400%, 600%, etc.). Is there any way to stop this behavior so that whenever a document is resize, an image is cropped, etc., that Affinity doesn't change the current Zoom? I couldn't find anything in the preferences for this. Any help with this would be great. 

Thanks.

Unfortunately only shortcuts:

• Zoom to 100% using Ctrl+1 or double-click the Zoom Tool icon, where document pixels map directly to screen pixels.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 5 months later...

As primarily a web designer often working on small graphics, I very much second this.

Also, is there a way to disable auto-zooming when selecting layers in the layers palette? I constantly select one or more layers and have Affinity Photo automatically zoom in on the selection. Whilst I can see that this *might* be handy on some occasions, it seems to be very sensitive and I very often trigger it by accident which is a major pain. Is there a way to disable this, and if not, can I vote for to be added soon?

Interesting. I was having problems when selecting layers that if I clicked on the layer name it kept highlighting the layer name for editing instead of selecting the layer, so I may have inadvertently 'trained' myself into clicking on the icon to avoid this and thereby am triggering the zooming feature instead. Awkward.

My muscle memory has also 'learned' to click on the icon because I've also been having issues with clicking on the layer name and trying to copy the layer kept resulting in pasting the *name* of the layer instead of the layer contents.

I'll somehow have to learn how to select a layer without a) triggering zoom, or b) not copying the layer name. Tricky ;0)

Also, is there a way to disable auto-zooming when selecting layers in the layers palette?

I'm on a PC and the only time Affinity auto-zooms when selecting a layer is if I double-click the layer on the layer icon (not the text). If I single-click the icon (or anywhere on the layer in the layer panel), the layer is selected, but the view does not zoom to the layer content. So, for me, only double-clicking the layer icon zooms.

10 hours ago, colindun said:

I was having problems when selecting layers that if I clicked on the layer name it kept highlighting the layer name for editing instead of selecting the layer...

I cannot duplicate that behavior unless I double-click on the name. Th same applies for 'auto-zooming' -- that only happens if I double-click on a layer thumbnail.

So it sounds like either your muscle memory is double-clicking when you intend to single-click, or your mouse button isn't acting right.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

As far as I see, at least in my case (Windows 10), Affinity Photo zooms images after cropping or resizing to nearly the optimal zoom factor to fit into the working space. But with a little space around it. - Like you would press Ctrl+0. In fact this function is called "Zoom to fit" in the "View" menu. If I click on the layers thumbnail, it will be zoomed to a certain zoom factor too, but to a smaller one than with Ctrl+0.

I never had problems with this behaviour, but I can imagine that it would be helpfull for some people and for some cases to be able to disactivate this. Might be a case for the Suggestions.

Yep. Windows 10 here, too. The auto-zoom after crop actually drives me a bit nuts. I'm working on a set of playing cards for a game company. As a result, the cards are not large and many of the elements on the cards are small. These elements (icons and the like) were created separately. If I load them in, they instantly display auto-zoomed to fill the screen. If I have to crop them or resize them for some reason, the cropped or resized version also auto-zooms to fill the screen. Many times I need to see these items at 100% ... not 400% or more, etc.

Now, to be clearer (hopefully), this is NOT happening if I resize an element that is in a document. This is if I crop or resize the actual document. So, perhaps I am working on a card and open a separate file that is an icon I need to adjust then bring over to the card document. If I crop or resize the icon document, then the entire document auto-zooms to fill the view. It doesn't matter if the document was set to 100% before cropping or resizing. After a crop or resize, the document will auto-fill the view. 

33 minutes ago, SilverSurfer1221 said:

These elements (icons and the like) were created separately. If I load them in, they instantly display auto-zoomed to fill the screen. If I have to crop them or resize them for some reason, the cropped or resized version also auto-zooms to fill the screen. Many times I need to see these items at 100% ... not 400% or more, etc.

Why not use artboards in AD, for cropping.

The artboard is the cropping frame of the document. Essentially, you can quickly resize multiple documents side by side in the same workspace.

Why not use artboards in AD, for cropping.

First of all, not the point of this thread, but that's okay. Secondly, the icons and other elements are separate documents that will get used across various media (cards, boxes created for the cards, marketing materials, etc.). So, the change made to one needs to affect all (even if they are in completely different Affinity files). In any case, whatever is being done, I simply don't want to crop something or change a document size and have Affinity auto-zoom in on it without me wanting that. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, ogitive said:

Please, this is very simply request and still it is not resolved even from preferences (on/off option).

It would be best to post about this in the appropriate Feature Request forum. The developers have said that as a rule they do not follow topics in the Questions forum but do consider every request made in that other forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

You mean this?

Screenshot_2022-11-27-14-14-53.thumb.png.52c568b81c8c73a87a9b59bf886ed0a0.png

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, AndyL said:

Auto fit to the window is the most rediculous 'Feature' .  Please give me the option to switch it off

On V1 there was at least one Feature Request thread for an option to deactivate this auto-zoom function. It can be particularly annoying when switching between AD artboards and especially between APub pages via the extra Pages Panel where a double click is required (for good reason) to jump to another page.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The lack of an option to deactivate the auto-zoom function also feels strange, as the auto-scroll feature provides the user with two UI items, while the app preference (> interface) always seems to be overridden by the Layer Panel setting and thus appears useless and superfluous.

Maybe one of the two interfaces was initially – "by concept", not "by design" – meant to be coded as the missing option to disable auto-zoom?

581326304_auto-scroll2apppreference.jpg.e494875945e7a5af14eb2d546efcb517.jpg - 1360763894_auto-scroll1layerpanel.jpg.ff6a1d962ec09c4c56c432e1e416dfcb.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

the auto-scroll feature provides the user with two UI items

At least for Windows, these are two different functions. One ensures that when an object is selected on the canvas, the corresponding item in the Layers panel is displayed at the same time (auto-scroll to show selection). The second one ensures the automatic shift of the display of items in the Layers panel when they are moved (change of hierarchy in the layer stack).