You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Active Artboard fit in window

Would love to see the ability to fit an ACTIVE artboard in the window. When working with multiple artboards in a document it's frustrating to not be able to quickly see the entire ACTIVE artboard. Instead command 0 shows all of the artboards.  

Aren't more users missing this ability?

Have you tried double-clicking on the Artboard's thumbnail in the Layers panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you tried double-clicking on the Artboard's thumbnail in the Layers panel?

Yeah that works but most of the time I work without any panels on screen so it's an extra step. Not bad but those extra steps add up... would love a keyshort for it for multiple artboard scenarios.

You can create custom View Points in the Navigator (while the studio is displayed), then give a shortcut key to each.
Then you can hide the studio and use the keyboard shortcut to navigate between the artboards.
There used to be a video showing how to do this somewhere, but I can’t find it.

4 hours ago, retrograde said:

I work without any panels on screen

1. choose the Artboard tool (give it a keyboard shortcut if it doesn't have any)
  2. click anywhere on the artboard to select it
  3. Viev > Zoom > Zoom To Selection (give it a keyboard shortcut if it doesn't have any)

Alternatively, if you have multiple artboards and want to zoom to fit on the fly without saving view points:

1. choose the Artboard tool
  3. Select > Select Next/Previous (give it a keyboard shortcut if it doesn't have any)
  4. Viev > Zoom > Zoom To Selection

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

16 hours ago, retrograde said:

Frankly though, I'm working on a MacBook Pro, so what I'm doing most of the time is simply zooming in and out via two-fingers-drag on the trackpad while holding the option key. It's so amazingly fast.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 4/4/2021 at 5:38 AM, GarryP said:

You can create custom View Points in the Navigator (while the studio is displayed), then give a shortcut key to each.
Then you can hide the studio and use the keyboard shortcut to navigate between the artboards.
There used to be a video showing how to do this somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Thanks GarryP,  that's a pretty clever work around that would work in the meantime and in certain scenarios but still requires a bit of setup that frankly a simple 'fit current artboard' shortcut in window should take care of.

On 4/4/2021 at 6:33 AM, loukash said:
  1. choose the Artboard tool (give it a keyboard shortcut if it doesn't have any)
  3. Viev > Zoom > Zoom To Selection (give it a keyboard shortcut if it doesn't have any)

Alternatively, if you have multiple artboards and want to zoom to fit on the fly without saving view points:

1. choose the Artboard tool
  3. Select > Select Next/Previous (give it a keyboard shortcut if it doesn't have any)
  4. Viev > Zoom > Zoom To Selection

Thanks loukash, I do use zoom to selection quite a bit but a zoom to current artboard shortcut is really what is missing here.

10 minutes ago, retrograde said:

zoom to current artboard shortcut is really what is missing here.

An artboard is technically an object, so I understand that's it's not treated equally to e.g. Zoom To Page.

That said, at first I found it slightly disturbing as well. Eventually I got used to it.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, retrograde said:

Would love to see the ability to fit an ACTIVE artboard in the window. When working with multiple artboards in a document it's frustrating to not be able to quickly see the entire ACTIVE artboard. Instead command 0 shows all of the artboards.  

I will select the artboard and then use the Command + Shift + 0 (zero) to zoom to the artboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I will select the artboard and then use the Command + Shift + 0 (zero) to zoom to the artboard.

On Windows, I might use Ctrl + Alt + 0 (Zoom to Selection). Or Alt + Shift + 0 (Zoom to Width). But we don't have (by default) a Ctrl + Shift + 0 shortcut defined.

What is Cmd + Shift + 0 defined as on Mac?

image.png.9426cadbf78d3ddcc49abdbfa70d72b8.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What is Cmd + Shift + 0 defined as on Mac?

Zoom to Width.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

51 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Zoom to Width.

Thanks. Odd that the Windows versions use Alt and the Mac versions use Cmd rather than Opt.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

the Mac versions use Cmd rather than Opt.

Shift-option is a text input modifier on Mac. Shift-option-0 types the following character on US keyboard layout:

= "Single Low-9 Quotation Mark" = U+201A

On 4/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, Old Bruce said:

Does this zoom into your active artboard if you have multiple artboards?

15 minutes ago, retrograde said:

Does this zoom into your active artboard if you have multiple artboards?

An artboard is an object, so if you select it: yes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 2:16 PM, loukash said:

An artboard is an object, so if you select it: yes.

Gotcha. I was having a hard time selecting just the artboard until I remembered that clicking on the artboard name in the document window selects it. Doh! Might be just as fast as a shortcut, maybe faster actually, if it's visible on the screen of course ;-)  Cheers!

2 hours ago, retrograde said:

clicking on the artboard name in the document window selects it

Didn't know this one. cheers!