You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Memory problems: huge usage, leaks, and not working options

Hi,

I would like to report several memory usage problems:

1. Publisher uses around 11GB RAM at start with simple 30 pages project with around 100 tiff/cmyk images linked (300dpi pages with size 25cm/20cm). Nothing in performance or project settings helps. Memory limit doesn't work at all, the same for other options.
2. Memory usage is increasing every time I open/close the project. See attached screenshots. Just after Publisher starts it gets 440MB, then I open project and it gets 10.8GB, then I close the project and it drops to 2.6GB (!), open again and it gets 11.7GB, close it again it drops to 3.6GB etc.

I use latest 1.9.2 version, on Windows 8.1 Pro.

Please, help, at this moment it is barely usable.

Regards,
Bogdan

screenshot_3.jpg

screenshot_4.jpg

screenshot_5.jpg

screenshot_6.jpg

screenshot_7.jpg

screenshot_8.jpg

screenshot_9.jpg

screenshot_10.jpg

screenshot_11.jpg

screenshot_12.jpg

screenshot_13.jpg

I can confirm the leak. It was reported earlier in this thread

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

It is even worse: I exported whole project as template (this project consumes 11GB), then I created new  project from template (still 11GB) and deleted all pages except first one (still 11GB), and closed every documents: still 11GB :(

PS. I wanted to create next pages as different project, but I needed one page to start, but I don't know how to start new project based on one page from old project :(

The work around is getting a memory optimizer. Wise care has a good one. I will reduce it's memory load. Of course the leak is still there so you have to run it again every so often

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

In this case Wise Case Optimizer doesn't work at all. It freed 3.3MB for 16GB RAM, where 11GB is consumed by Publisher. I think the only workaround is to project limited pages at a time, which is really cumbersome.
In this project I have linked 3.3GB tiff images, pasted in simple picture rectangles with outer shadow, and semi-transparent common background for all pages. Consume 11GB for all these simple things is far too much IMHO.

Hi @Pauls, uploaded! I've sent narrowed example, it consumes less than 5GB at start and grows up. Project configuration is the same as mine (except I use custom CMYK profile which narrows total ink coverage, but I see it doesn't make any difference for the problem). Don't hesitate to ask for details if you need.

Same kind of memory issues here, too. Publisher is using over 95% of memory, program freezes for a minute, comes back and freezes again. After closing Publisher still most of the memory reserved. Same thing in 3 different computers (win10 latest update, 8 and 16 Gb RAM).

Not many. To be precise I have had 2 quite similar projects:

1. Computer with 16 Gb RAM. About 300 pictures, 1-2 are tiff, others jpg. In this computer about 5 Gb RAM is reserved to Publisher now, when I changed RAM usage limit to 4,1 Gb. Publisher file is about 4,8 Mb. Freezing has nor happened in this computer, only the use of RAM.

2. Two almost similar computers with 8 Gb RAM. I should count how many pictures, maybe 200-300, 2 of which are tiff others jpg. RAM usage was even 95% and it did not change much lower after closing the program. Publisher file about 3,8 Mb. In both computers frequent freezing. I tried to find, if there is something other than Publisher program by updating almost everything, changing mouse etc. Nothing helps.

I will try to expand the memory, but isn't it some bug if the program reserves so much RAM.

• 3 months later...

I've just made short tests with 1.10 and I see noticeable progress. Memory usage limit finally works. However, closing project doesn't free memory usage into initial level (600MB after start -> 5GB usage when limit 4GB (I don't care the difference, it holds the level, this is important) -> 2GB after closing project). But it seems it doesn't affect the software when reopening the project several times, only memory limit was exceeded by less than ~100MB every time I reopened the project (5GB -> 5.1 GB -> 5.2 GB and so on). Pretty good job! 😊 do not ruin this, please 😉