You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashing

Since recent updates I am experiencing a problem on all three software programmes Designer, Publisher and Photo. During the creation of a project the programme freezes then closes. When opening the programme again is does find a rescue file of the project. Another problem has also occurred and that is I can only get bleed on three sides of a page. On an A4 page the long side on the right will not bleed.

• Staff

Hi Mikey05,

Is the crash repeatable for you? If so could you attach any related DMP files found in %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports that relate to the time the app crashed. If you could also attach a video showing the steps you're taking and any related files you're using to reproduce that crash that would also be very helpful for us.

Regarding Bleed, have you ensured that all 4 sides have a bleed value set and that one isn't set to 0mm? Again a video or screenshots showing what you're seeing are also useful to us.

No crash reports are listed which seems strange. No particular operation causes the programme to freeze, it is intermittent. Regarding the bleed 0.3 shows on all four edges in the set up yet when printing it still does not bleed on the right edge and it is also a fraction short at the bottom. Never used to have these problems. I have always been extremely pleased with all three programmes and recommended them to a number of friends but after years of using Serif programmes am now considering looking around for other possibilities. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mikey05 said:

No crash reports are listed which seems strange. No particular operation causes the programme to freeze, it is intermittent. Regarding the bleed 0.3 shows on all four edges in the set up yet when printing it still does not bleed on the right edge and it is also a fraction short at the bottom. Never used to have these problems. I have always been extremely pleased with all three programmes and recommended them to a number of friends but after years of using Serif programmes am now considering looking around for other possibilities. 

Thats frustrating - are you using a copy bought from our store or the Microsoft Store?

Regarding the printing - would you happen to be using a Canon printer at all? We've seen a few issues with Canon printers shifting the document in both the print and the print preview, frustratingly I don't yet have access to a Canon printer.

I am using the copies I have bought from yourselves. I went to use Designer this morning opened the programme and went to download an illustration and it just closed. I am not a professional but use the programmes for a club newsletter and creating greetings cards for friends and family. If I relied on it for work I think I would have changed to something else by now. Yes I am using a Canon A3 printer but never had this problem before updates.

I'm seeing the same crashing scenario.

Windows 10

After a period of time the cursor freezes and the machine eventually reboots.

I've had this happen at least 3 times in the past 3 days. I can't pin down specifically what I'm doing in those instances.

I've checked the CrashReports and there is nothing reported although Windows captured what happened before it went south.

I'm not sure if this is the error or not, but I do see two critical windows errors occurring at the same time this happens.

Logfile Error.pdf

@wpeace Can you try the steps below please?

There are three steps you can take to check in advance whether it is Affinity programs, outdated drivers or problems with Windows or .NET.

Step 1
Check whether there are up-to-date system drivers and/or graphics card drivers.

Step 2
Make sure that the hardware acceleration (OpenCL) is deactivated. Edit -> Settings -> Performance

Step 3
Check if Windows has problems with various .NET and/or other VBA/C++ modules. To do this, work through the following steps.

Windows 10 in running mode can be checked and also repaired with the help of the command prompt (cmd.exe) and the DISM commands.

And this is how it works:

Enter Command Prompt or cmd.exe in the taskbar search and start it by right-clicking "As administrator" or by holding down Ctrl + Shift.
C:\Windows\system32\ appears.

Check if there are errors in the registry:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth by right-clicking and paste into the prompt by right-clicking.

Scan data sets (partition) for errors
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.

Scan Windows 10 for errors using Windows Update and have it repaired:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you have carried out the repair with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, you can run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth again for safety's sake.

And at least you can run sfc /scannow

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Thank you  very much for your post re the problems I am having with Affinity. I have checked the graphics card and there are no updates for it. I am afraid my technical knowledge is such that I feel very worried about trying your other suggestions ( I am 78 years of age with no computer background). The thing that I cannot understand is that before the recent updates the programmes were all working fine. Only yesterday within an hour Publisher and Designer both closed on me when working on a project, and there is still this problem with the bleed on the printer. Again before the update no problems. I have been using Affinity since the beginning and Serif products right back to the early days of PagePlus but it looks now as if I have to look around for other programmes which is a big problem. Very, very disappointing as Serif do not seem to have an answer.

Hello @Mikey05

It is an advantage to know which version of Windows you are using. The hardware is also interesting. Without these minimal details it is not possible to find a solution.

A quick tip (if you are using Windows 10): Right-click on Windows Start.From the pop-up menu, select Command Prompt (Administrator). Here you enter sfc /scannow.

After sfc has run, it will display whether there were any problems and whether they have been fixed.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Thanks for your reply. I am using Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire pc. The printer is a Canon Pixma iX 6850. I have run the scan as you suggested and it finally came back with the message 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'. I have now run an experiment. I have installed all three Affinity programmes on an old Dell Inspiron pc I use as a backup. I have installed all the updates. I cannot recreate the crashing problems which leads me to think that there must be a problem with my Acer pc. On the bleed issue though it must definitely be a software problem as there is still no bleed down the right hand long edge on an A4 sheet. It is 3mm short of bleeding and 2mm short on the bottom short edge.  Thanks again for all your help.

The bleeding bug is under investigation by the devs.

You now know how to open the administrative prompt 

Check if there are errors in the registry:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth by right-clicking and paste into the prompt by right-clicking.

Scan data sets (partition) for errors
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.

Scan Windows 10 for errors using Windows Update and have it repaired:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.