You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.9.2.1035 reproducible crash

Hi Gabe,

Is this document specific? 

I really don't know. I have the sense the the previous version is more stable. This is a crash that I managed to reproduce. Some times the program crashed before but I considered it a coincidence

Can you replicate it in a new doc?

No

Can you keep an eye on the Task Manager...

There is no unusual activity when it crashes.

I've attached a crash report

2ab2bfd6-b0a1-4751-a2e7-21da8618dcb4.dmp

Can you post the Hardware (CPU/GPU) you use and how much RAM is in your computer. Which Windows version is used.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Since updating to this version I get a crash every 5 to 10 minutes.

Not sure what you changed but the stability of this is just awful now.  Bordering on unusable.

The crashes I get are so random, but always during standard image manipulation like curves, colour balancing etc.

So frustrating, especially considering one of the big points of this update was removing bugs!

Edited by gingerging

is it me or i can't find this release "Photo 1.9.2.1035" on the beta channel?
is this a stable build ?

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

3 minutes ago, PeteMacca said:

Yes, 1.9.2.1035 is stable, and newer than the latest beta.

Thanks 
I received not the regular email about that so, i didn't knew.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

@george++ 

My first recommendation is to update the Intel and the Nvidia drivers.

Secondly, if you haven't already done so, disable the hardware acceleration in Affinity Photo.  In the preferences you can also set the renderer. The Nvidia 1650 should be selected here.

Since the PC only has 8 GB of RAM and a dedicated GPU, switching off the iGPU in the BIOS could also help. The iGPU then no longer uses part of the RAM. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

11 hours ago, gingerging said:

Since updating to this version I get a crash every 5 to 10 minutes.

Not sure what you changed but the stability of this is just awful now.  Bordering on unusable.

The crashes I get are so random, but always during standard image manipulation like curves, colour balancing etc.

So frustrating, especially considering one of the big points of this update was removing bugs!

Hello @gingerging,

Welcome to the forum.

My experience is , when OpenCl is enable, there are unexpected crashes or Affinity freezes.
Is OpenCl disable, workd Affinity well, but with a loss of speed.

Try the suggestions above to resolve the problem.
I think there will be an update or a new beta in the foreseeable future. 

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Thank you both, for the tips

The GeForce Experience reports that my driver is up to date (465.89 Release Date 03/30/2021)

It is true that if I disable the hardware acceleration in Affinity Photo the application won't crash. But it is unpleasant to degrade the performance of the Affinity Photo by setting off the hardware acceleration

2 hours ago, george++ said:

...But it is unpleasant to degrade the performance of the Affinity Photo by setting off the hardware acceleration

However, this is the only possible way to work with the programmes at the moment. 😟

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

However, this is the only possible way to work with the programmes at the moment. 😟

I agree

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Hi

Not really a fix is it.  Here is a users experience... Open. Crash.  Open a file. Crash.  Open, open a stack. Crash.  Run a stack, Crash.  Run stack, adjust curves. Crash.  Open file again, adjust balance, crash.  Adjust sharpness, crash. ... Use DSS - ok.  Use APP - ok.  Use anything else - ok.

The fix? - disable things that MIGHT make it work (not guaranteed) and will slow it down.  Maybe we'll take a look some time.

Remind me what i paid for?  Oh yes, an editing app that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubbish, total rubbish.  Affinity, get your bloody act together, this is absolute dog $#!£.  Test your releases for pitys sake.

Get it done, its been weeks and nothing.  Sort it out and stop making excuses.

Edited by gingerging

• Staff

Hardware acceleration is working well for thousands of users, so it is on by default. We are still working on this but the driver manufacturers are working with us as we are calling functions that should work, but the drivers are crashing. This is bleeding edge development with NVIDIA and other hardware manufacturers working directly with us on a daily basis. 

Hardware acceleration is a new feature in 1.9.0 and if it does not work for you then turning Hardware acceleration off is not "degrading the software" , it is making it use the same codepath that 1.8.5 used to draw, so is as fast as it used to be.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Affinity, I guess I'm currently holding an unofficial world record of crashes during one session (last night). I was trying to create a stack from 22 sky RAW shots, in order to create a star trail image. The stacking took some time, but eventually appeared, but when trying to edit the stack following James Ritson's video it crashed. I started anew, new crash, succeded in saving the file, but never got around to Flatten the stack, the program just froze or crashed. Not possible to export the file to a JPEG. Not possible to export a slice. I've tried the same procedure in the Beta with similar results. It seems that after the last update or two updates, the program appears much more unstable, crashes at all occations (no pattern identifiable), and is visibly slower in loading RAW images. This is really no fun at all.

@Linslusen Hello, please provide us with information discribed here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/