You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I thought I would raise the question here in case it is something I'm doing, or not doing that is causing the issue, rather than it being a bug in the software.

When I open a RAW file in the Develop Persona, it is not automatically selecting the lens profile, even though
(a) Develop lens profile is set to Auto-select in Develop Assistant
(b) the camera and lens model are correctly identified in the line near the top of the screen (just to the right of the Cancel button)
(c) the exact lens model can be manually located in the pull down profile listing

The screen shot below shows the issue for a Sony .ARW raw file, and it is not just one individual image, but all I have tried from that particular camera.
It is also occurring with RAW images from Canon as well.

Any thoughts please.

Edit:  Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035

Lens Profile.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

To add to the information in the first post.

1. This problem also occurs on another Windows 10 PC here that is running Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703, so it would appear to have been present from before the 1.9 updates.

2. It does automatically find the lens profiles for some images (for example Sony ILCE-6600/Sony E PZ 18-105mm F/4 G OSS, and Nikon D700/AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED),  but these are in the minority. 

3. Those I've tried that it flags as "a lens profile for this image could not be selected automatically" are all from camera/lenses  listed as supported in the 1.9 listings, and have lenses from the same manufacturer as the camera.

4. A really weird situation exists (as shown in the screen shot below) where if a RAW image is opened in Develop mode where it does recognize to lens profile, say for example a Canon EOS 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, is then cancelled, and another RAW image is then opened in Develop mode without shutting down Affinity Photo, for example one from a Sony ILCE-tM3/Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8GM (which for some reason it wouldn't normally auto recognize the lens profile) it will continue to show the Lens Profile of the Canon lens. Lens correction is ticked, but you have to look more closely to see the profile itself isn't ticked, and the yellow warning profile is showing.  Very untidy at best.

5. ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021 is able to automatically identify the lens profile for all the RAW photos from my Sony SLT-A57 camera, where as Affinity Photo can't automatically identify the lens profile for any of them. 

MissMatch.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Greyfox,

I apologise for the delayed response occasionally posts such as this one can slip through the net. Are you still experiencing this issue with our latest 1.10 build of Affinity?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

same problem with Mac Book Pro M1 and Affinity 1.10.5 ...does not automatically recognize the Canon RF 24-105 F4-7.1 lens profile.

The database is update from GiftHub

How can i fix it?

Thank You

27 minutes ago, iAlex said:

Don't work....

Pity, all I did was drop the file into the LensProfile folder, restart Photo and it worked. Maybe another Mac user can shed some light 

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

36 minutes ago, iAlex said:

Don't work....

Can you share one of your RAW images that it should have worked on?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried to clear all previous lens correct, saved, restarted Affinity and reloaded the new ones.

Now the correction for RF 24-105 is detected automatically, but for the Tamron 10-200 and RF 16 F2.8 it must still be selected manually.

Edited by iAlex

16mm
A bit of weirdness here, exiftool reports
RF Lens Type : Unknown (288)
and Photo shows Lens 288 under Metadata Exif
So I built the xml with <model>288</model> and it works, the result is very similar to the embedded jpeg

18-200
Based on Lensfun AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC with the RF mount added. It auto selects ok but the correction is miles from the embedded jpeg so I changed the crop factor to 1 which looks better at least at 45mm focal length. Best to compare with the official correction in the list and revise the crop factor if desired

Tam18-200.xml RF16f28.xml

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thanks for the support...

A question, the file dowloaded from GiftHub I leave it? or i just keep the three xml file dowloaded from here..

PS: However PhotoShop recognizes the three objectives automatically without problems

As I understand it, xml files placed into the LensProfiles folder will update the built in corrections which are contained in lens-correction-data.dat
I don't know what you have downloaded from Github but I have used two files

Canon RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM
Missing from Photo database so extracted from https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/blob/master/data/db/mil-canon.xml

Canon RF1 6mm F2.8 STM
Missing from Photo database so extracted from https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/blob/master/data/db/mil-canon.xml
<model> changed to get auto select to work

Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC
In Photo database but doesn't autoselect
Extracted from https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/blob/master/data/db/slr-tamron.xml note mil-tamron.xml only has data for the later Di III VC lens, Name was changed and RF mount added to get auto select to work

I would only include the three files that I posted

PPS Photo is not in the same clas as Photoshop ;-)

Thank's..

From GiftHub i downloaded the Canon (mil-canon.xml) and Tamron (mil-tamron.xml) lens profiles 

By importing the three single .xml files into the AF folder, automatic recognition works correctly...the only thing the RF16 F2.8 is recognized as a 288 lens

• 4 months later...

I have encountered the same problem for my tamron 24-70 2.8 g1 on both pc and ipadpro version. for my nikon 50 mm 1.8 g, the auto detection work fine. did any one find a solution... for the pc, i downloaded the files from github and uploaed them, but it did not work. for the ipad version i am stuck. any solution, plz?

• 11 months later...