You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No camera data and lens profile checkbox issues

using affinity photo 1.9.1 on a mac desktop 

I always see the no camera data in the photo and develop persona. how do i make the software recognize the nikon d3500 camera?

also i keep checking the checkbox for lens correction and select my lens but when i develop the picture and then again come back to develop persona, the lens profile box is unchecked and affinity does not remember which lens was selected and therefore the lens correction is not applied. how do i fix this?

@Visin - I downloaded a sample raw file for the D3500 from imaging-resource.com.  I opened the raw file in AP v1.9.2 on my MacBook Pro running Big Sur.  The file opened in the Develop persona, as expected, with the EXIF data intact (including the camera model and exposure settings) and the lens profile automatically applied (see screenshot).

To have the lens profile applied automatically, you can enable this by going to the Develop assistant and choosing the "Auto-select" option from the Default lens profile drop down menu.

RGB images (i.e, non-raw images) will not have a lens profile applied in the Develop persona.  Also, AP does not write XMP or other sidecar data into or next to the raw file, so no settings made in the Develop persona are saved for Automatica application the next time you open the raw file in AP.

Check you Develop assistant settings to make sure you lens profile default action is how you want it to work.  You should also check to make sure your lens is supported by AP and has a profile available to be applied.  AP uses the Lensfun database to provide lens profile corrections - a listing of their supported lenses can be found here:

https://lensfun.github.io/lenslist/

Good luck!

Kirk

assistant.jpg

assistant2.jpg

@Visin I do not know - try opening the raw file directly from your local drive via AP's Open... (or drag it from your drive into AP) and see if the   problem lies in trying to pass the raw file from Photos into AP is the problem.  It probably is, but I do not use Apple Photos so I can't really answer your question.

How exactly are you passing the raw file from Photos into AP?  Are you using the AP Develop Extension in Photos?  Or "Edit in Affinity Photo" extension?  If I pass the raw from Photos into AP using the Edit in Affinity Photo, the EXIF data and lens correction works as expected (on the same raw file I used previously).

Kirk

@Visin

See

If you can see the Camera model and Lens model in the line near the top of the screen, and the lens model can be selected manually from the pull down list, then the two issues may be related.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

6 hours ago, Visin said:

Serif should also make AP do this if importing the raw file from apple's photo lib also as long as it is a raw file. 

There are at least two ways of opening a file in Affinity Photo from Photos. One will transfer the RAW file, one will convert it into a TIFF file and send that.

Perhaps if you describe more details of how you are opening the file a Mac user will be able to explain further.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, Visin said:

Serif should also make AP do this if importing the raw file from apple's photo lib also as long as it is a raw file. 

As Walt said, this depends on what Photos sends to AP. By default, it is not the RAW file data, so check Photos help for how to get that app to pass the RAW version to AP.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, Visin said:

I right click on the picture on my photos app on the desktop and select edit in affinity 

That's the way that sends a TIFF file, I think.

See: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, Visin said:

I right click on the picture on my photos app on the desktop and select edit in affinity 

If you mean "Edit With > Affinity Photo" don't do that. Open the file for editing in Photos, then from the extensions menu select "Edit in Affinity Photo."

EDIT: Walt beat me to it!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7