You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New assets not installed universally

Hi

I bought a couple of assets and installed them into Affinity Photo, via the new direct account assets link feature. Easy, great stuff!

But then, I opened Affinity Designer and naively assumed that the ones that are compatible with Designer, those would automatically be shared and available in Designer too, since they are generic .afassets. For example Light Artefacts or Atmosphere by James Ritson. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I can download them, but that would download a generic .afassets item a second time which seems really strange and a total waste of local HD space. 

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards

Phil 

Welcome to the Forums @DigitalStirling 😊   No, this isn’t a bug.  It is just the way things are.   Since we may not wish to have each and every brush, or asset, or style, or palette in each app (Photo, Designer, and Publisher) it is a nice way to save disk space by not automatically replicating all these files.  This also prevents vector files from being stored in Photo, where they cannot be used but will take up disk space.  We can always export a brush category from one app and import it into another.  And hopefully, I remember to include a backup copy of every category in an “Affinity Brushes” or Assets, or Styles. Etc. file so I can easily import at will.   🤔

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@DigitalStirling @Stepaan

Since all the apps have the facility for you to be working in one, e.g., Designer, but then to choose to, e.g., Edit in Photo (for a brush or asset that you only have in Photo) all these assets actually are available in all the apps even if they are not specifically "installed" in all the apps.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

18 hours ago, DigitalStirling said:

But then, I opened Affinity Designer and naively assumed that the ones that are compatible with Designer, those would automatically be shared and available in Designer too, since they are generic .afassets.

They have to be installed in each application where you want to use them, and yes, this multiplies the amount of storage that is used.

You can choose to have them automatically downloaded, or not. Or choose to have them automatically downloaded as determined by their size. Possibly you don't have those options enabled in Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Good morning and excuse my ignorance.
1- I got wonderful Affinity Designer and downloaded (& supposedly installed) MiksKS pack*, which is include with the purchase of AffDesigner...
Now I'm looking how to use them... but I don't find them anywhere (Assets, Brushes, ¿?).

2- When trying to "Import Brushes" it pops up an "OSX Search window", not the one from the app that appears in the video tutorial.

3- BASIC brushes category is missing...
4- BRUSH EDITING pop up window doesn't have the options showed on the video tutorial
None of these options: General, Dynamics, Textures, Sub Brushes... Only STROKE (See attachments)

Is there something that I'm missing?
Please help.

Thanks.

____________________________________________________________________________________

* MiksKS pack:  Ink Stamp textures, Paint Roller textures and Spray Paint textures.

Are MiksKSs brushes included into these categories?
Assets... Stamp Textures... ¿?

In my brushes appear: "Acrylic, Dry media, Engraving, Gouaches, Ink, Markers, Oils, Pencils, Pens and Watercolours".
There's not BASIC brushes category

AffScreenshot.png

Brush Editing from video.png

My Brush editing pop up Window.png

Edited by Augusto Nouel Perera
Text correction and adding screenshot.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Augusto Nouel Perera.

If you expand that category by clicking on the little arrow on the left, you will see that they are afassets, so you would look in the Assets panel.

image.png.5b561ea039363a31c04e5e1ef14d0923.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, Augusto Nouel Perera said:

And what about my questions?: 2-, 3-, and 4-

2. What tutorial? And a screenshot of what you got might be useful?

3. Basics is a category in the Pixel Persona of Designer, not the Designer Persona.

4. Vector brushes and raster brushes have different characteristics, and different editing Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@AgentWayward

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums 🙂

The Photo persona in Publisher is not actually running Photo, so the asset panel is not "the same one". If you use the My account feature in Publisher it should additionally install the Photo assets too and they should appear in the Photo persona of Publisher. Is that not working for you?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
On 4/6/2021 at 4:27 PM, Augusto Nouel Perera said:

After installing MiksKS Assets... (which seem to consume a lot of memory) I think I'm not going to need/use them anyway...
Can I unintall them?
How?

Thanks Walt.

in the My Account feature you can uninstall them also.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@AgentWayward

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums 🙂

The Photo persona in Publisher is not actually running Photo, so the asset panel is not "the same one". If you use the My account feature in Publisher it should additionally install the Photo assets too and they should appear in the Photo persona of Publisher. Is that not working for you?

Thanks Patrick, 

Looking in My account in Publisher, it does not list the Photo assets. I have tried the "re-synch library" option, no change. 

• Staff
Just now, AgentWayward said:

Could this possibly be the cause? 

Oh yes, well spotted. The registrations do not have to be on the same account as you purchased on. You can register them all on the same account, preferably the one where you have the downloadable content.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

Oh yes, well spotted. The registrations do not have to be on the same account as you purchased on. You can register them all on the same account, preferably the one where you have the downloadable content.

When I go to "manage my account", it lists all three programs as being under that account.  
How do I proceed to get everything back in synch? 

4 minutes ago, AgentWayward said:

When I go to "manage my account", it lists all three programs as being under that account.  
How do I proceed to get everything back in synch? 

To be clearer, 

all three program purchases,  are listed under manage my account, but only Photo and Designer are registered there. 

Can I re-register Publisher under the same email address as the other two? 

• Staff
5 minutes ago, AgentWayward said:

Can I re-register Publisher under the same email address as the other two? 

Yes, just sign out of the My Account feature in Publisher and then sign in using the same email address as Photo and Designer.

image.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes, just sign out of the My Account feature in Publisher and then sign in using the same email address as Photo and Designer.

image.png

Great, that's now working, it's downloading the assets again. Thank you. 

As others have stated above though, and as a software engineer myself, I can't understand the requirement to have these assets in multiple copy form, in order to make them function in the different programs. Especially when you consider the otherwise excellent integration. Maybe that is something that you might condsider changing in the future. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

That would allow downloading of the content, but it won't actually reregister Publisher so it shows up as registered under that account in the Store listing, will it?

For that I suspect one would have to reset the registration info via a Ctrl run-up, and then select the registration option.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For that I suspect one would have to reset the registration info via a Ctrl run-up, and then select the registration option.

No, signing into the store My Account feature is registering the app. They are one and the same thing.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd