You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi There. I am new to publisher, and have watched a few tutorials. While watching the characters: advance typography tutorial, I was using the program at he same time, and doing exactly what the tutorial was showing needed done to change the fonts to a different created style. But it did not work at all. I even used the same font type, Gabriola, and went through the video a few times, and still, I couldn't get it to change from the pop up panel, or the panel on the right.

The stylistic set does not open up for any style change after disabling the standard ligature icon. 

Is something wrong with the program, or am I not getting all my instructional facts straight? I also updated the version to the newest one available. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Angelika said:

While watching the characters: advance typography tutorial, I was using the program at he same time, and doing exactly what the tutorial was showing needed done to change the fonts to a different created style. But it did not work at all. I even used the same font type, Gabriola, and went through the video a few times, and still, I couldn't get it to change from the pop up panel, or the panel on the right.

Unfortunately that particular tutorial video is really bad for learning as it demonstrates some bugs in dealing with Gabriola.
Very confusing.

What OpenType features are you trying to use? And with which fonts?
Perhaps we can give you some better working examples.

Hi. I initially was using Georgia in a book title and wanted to try some different effects. I don't particularly have a special font in mind. I was practicing because I would like to create some web pages for a web site to use. So any help would really help. I just wanted something different. Thanks.

@Angelika

Georgia does not have any stylistic sets. You can only use what the font designer included.

Sounds like you were wanting to use the Gabriola stylistic sets with all the fancy swashes.
Gabriola is a very complicated font which Microsoft created to show-off the new OpenType capabilities in DirectWrite.
So they went kinda nuts pushing the limits of OpenType to show what could be done.
They urged other font designers to look at it, and some other fonts, to learn the capabilities of OpenType.
Unfortunately they never actually documented all the features (some are well buried).

But, fortunately, the font designer did post an article back in 2010 explaining the strategy of the stylistic sets.
I have attached this article below (it is a single page HTML file).
Using stylistic variants in the Gabriola font (2010-08-24).html

Note: Gabriola also includes many Contextual Alternates which are automatically applied depending on the context.
That context being (1) the order of the characters in the word, (2) the starting and ending characters,
(3) uppercase vs. lowercase, (4) repeated characters, etc. 
You can also turn-Off Contextual Alternates and select specific characters using the Glyph Browser.
There are also over 850 Standard Ligatures - which is also On by default, but you can also turn-Off these automatic ligatures.
There is also a Swash feature which you can optionally turn-On which will also change based on the context.
Also, Stylistic Alternates, FinalGlyphOnLineAlternates, Small Capitals, Capital Spacing, Subscript, Superscript, Fractions, Case Sensitive Forms, Lining Figures (the default figures are oldstyle).
There is somewhere around a gazillion different combinations.
Kinda crazy! ;-)

So play with that for awhile and please come back with any questions.