You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update 1.9.2 and APhoto no longer starts

I work on Windows 7 Ultimate Pro;
I have always made all the updates regularly from APhoto 1.6.x up to version 1.9.1.
Updates have always been carried out smoothly and have always been successful.
Today there was an update notice to version 1.9.2 which I regularly did;
the procedure ended with the warning that everything had gone smoothly but, to my great surprise when I started Affinity Photo, after a few seconds I get the Windows Crash reporter warning that AP had stopped working; in detail it gave me a slew of hexadecimal numbers (Arabic for me).
I have tried several times to start the program but unfortunately the result has not changed.

I came to the forum hoping to find something that could help me instead, I saw that others had problems with 1.9.2 both Windows and Mac users.
Fortunately for me I had a backup which put me back in a position to continue the work.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate being able to read it ... THANK YOU

Any additional details on that "slew of hexadecimal numbers"? Perhaps a screenshot?

Also, if you got a crash report that would be helpful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm running Windows 10, all updates done. Version 1.9.2 is a car crash for me. Brushes seem to be broken. I can't paint on masks, brush feathering no longer works, studio panes keep on moving. I hope I can go back to 1.9 otherwise I'm going to have to buy Photoshop. I have stuff that needs working on.

Update. Went back to 1.9. Disaster. The install has deleted all my add-ons, plugin paths etc. Going to take hours to get it all back. 

Edited by Howard Worf
Installed earlier version

15 minutes ago, Howard Worf said:

I hope I can go back to 1.9

If you purchased directly from Serif, rather than from Microsoft, you can get older releases at:

You will need to uninstall 1.9.2 before installing the older release.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Any additional details on that "slew of hexadecimal numbers"? Perhaps a screenshot?

Also, if you got a crash report that would be helpful.

Hi @walt.farrell,

thank you very much for the time you dedicate to me;

unfortunately, I don't have the information you ask because, as I said in the first post, having a fresh backup of the day and urgent work to finish I preferred to restore everything and go back to 1.9.1 as soon as possible.

As soon as I have some free time, I will redo the installation of 1.9.2 and take all the screenshots of the case together with the report files you asked for.

Thanks again and to hear from you soon ...

EDIT: Or do you think it is better to wait for some patches since there are many users complaining?

Hey guys, or gals,

I am a pretty basic AP user at this time, with Windows 10. Reading this thread I think I will just forgo the 1.9.2 update, and maybe wait for next one (1.9.3?).  Does that seem reasonable?  I don't like hearing about crashes or losing data.

Also I was going to open a new thread asking the question: Is it best to delete the older versions (in my case, Affin. Photo) of Affinity before or after uploading any newer version?  Or should a person just keep downloading any new version without any worry about deleting older ones?

@walt.farrell mentioned above that you should delete or uninstall any newer version if you want to revert back to an older version.  Understood.  But that is different.  I guess what I'm asking, thinking out loud, you don't really need to uninstall an older version when installing a newer version, right?

3 hours ago, Leigh said:

Unfortunately this is a known issue with 1.9.2 and Windows 7. Our developers are aware and we can only suggest that you roll back to 1.9.1 for now.

@Leigh -

I thank you for the answer,
I learn that the problem is known to the developers,
does this mean that those who work on Win 7 have the road over to update APhoto?

Will we necessarily have to switch to a new Operating System or is it just a temporary fact that will sooner or later be remedied?

I apologize for all these questions but I am very interested in knowing ... THANK YOU

9 hours ago, Leigh said:

Unfortunately this is a known issue with 1.9.2 and Windows 7. Our developers are aware and we can only suggest that you roll back to 1.9.1 for now.

See post #3 here.  Any others having problems with 1.9.2 and Windows10?

4 hours ago, cutout3 said:

See post #3 here.  Any others having problems with 1.9.2 and Windows10?

Just do a search and see ...

Meanwhile, I tell you that @walt.farrell is right when he says to reinstall an old version it is necessary to delete the one in use on the computer.
But the real problem is that when you reinstall the old version all settings, presets, brushes, styles etc are lost;
for this reason I prefer to have a backup always at hand in order to be able to restore everything in a short time without losing almost anything.

• Staff
On 4/1/2021 at 7:15 PM, foto-grafic said:

@Leigh -

I thank you for the answer,
I learn that the problem is known to the developers,
does this mean that those who work on Win 7 have the road over to update APhoto?

Will we necessarily have to switch to a new Operating System or is it just a temporary fact that will sooner or later be remedied?

I apologize for all these questions but I am very interested in knowing ... THANK YOU

We've had reports from other users that after installing all available updates for Windows 7 the apps started working again. Perhaps give that a try?