You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all...

I purchased Affinity Designer today with the view to switch from my PC regular Pageplus software onto my lovely new mac. 

Am i missing something here or can you not do multiple page documents? If so, this has been a waste of my money...

Hope you can help

Cheers

Pete

• Staff

Designer is our illustration app, similar to DrawPlus - presently it only shows one page.  We will be releasing Affinity Publisher next year that will have all the features you'd expect for publication, including multiple pages.  Also, our file format will work seamlessly between all Affinity apps.

Please look at our Roadmap thread for information on what features are planned for Designer.  Pages are mentioned.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/842-affinity-designer-feature-roadmap/

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I liked this in Corel Draw long time ago (when I used that program)

For architectural presentations make sense, because all of them shared the same (or almost) "rotulation" or frame (name of the project, scale, number of sheet,...)

But I understand it's more a question for publisher...

Thanks for the input everyone....

This software would be perfect for me with pages as i use my publishing software to insert scanned architectural drawings in, then add overlays such as cars, landscaping etc and then like to run a slideshow showing the original drawing on one page and then the enhanced version on the next page. My documents normally run between 5-30 pages.

Guess i will have to wait for Publisher.

Been working with Serif on the PC for 11 years and really enjoy using it.

Cheers for now

Pete

• Staff

Not sure if you will have to wait for Publisher - multi Artboard is something we'll have to get done pretty early in the Publisher development cycle - so why can't we put it into Designer as soon as it's done? The apps all share a common codebase - so no reason! :) I can't guarantee when you will get this feature, but I hope we can get it done soonish..

Thanks,

AndyS

That sounds promising....  :) 

I think its great so far to be honest as it shares a similar feel to Pageplus. I switched to mac about 6 months ago and have been trying to use IndesignCC but it doesn't suit my working style as much as Serif.

I will wait with bated breath...

Awesome product direction though.... like it a lot.

Thanks again

Pete

• Staff

We have a release pencilled for late next year. The beta won't be for a while yet.

Can we keep you happy with Photo for now? ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Can we keep you happy with Photo for now? ;)

Not bad :)

I'm not in a hurry, just wanted to know the aprox. dates.

By the way, I think the experience with Designer will be important for you to develope Photo and Publisher in the same way; so if the three apps share the same "language" (behaviours) you could almost manage all by learning only 1.

• Staff

They will share the same core technology. Some tools will be common, and the apps will feel more closely integrated than other suites. At least, that is going to be our aim.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

It's a shame that Photo is the next application due rather than Publisher. From what I have positively experienced with Designer, I look forward to the full Affinity suite. But, in my opinion, there is a much bigger need in the Mac market for an application to take on InDesign, than a photo application. Anyway, it's refreshing to have a software company with visibility of developments and roadmaps.

• Staff

While you may be right about this, Publisher is going to require a lot more work. A lot of what was required for Photo had to be done for Designer, and so Photo is the next obvious release for us as it is almost there already. Obviously, when we do release a beta of Publisher we want it to be the best it can be.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Running PagePlus X6 and DrawPlus x5 now in an XP service pack 2 shell in VirtualBox on OS X. Can't wait for Publisher. Counting the days until the beta for Photo comes out. If it helps, I am also very impatient for an InDesign replacement that's Mac resident BUT as good as Designer has turned out, I can definitely wait if some of the background digital imaging functionality will be improved in Publisher by releasing Photo first. Also, hoping that Publisher has something for the whole "ebook/interactive PDF/tablet document" export side of the house where InDesign seems to be making a bunch of their money right now.

HTML5 widget export wouldn't be a bad thing..."Just Saying... :)"

As much as Publisher is wanted, to me it makes a lot of sense for Photo to be next in the queue. If cross-app functionality is to be rock-solid, then the base (Designer and Photo) has to be worked on and be the base of the triangle that is capped by Publisher. A bit like training the horses before attaching the cart. I think the guys & gals at Affinity have a well-thought out plan and I cannot wait to see what goodies come out in the next year (or so). 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

I believe there may be a larger demand for Publisher than expected.  There is already a lot of competition in Photo editing market, and as much as I hate pricing for Adobe CC products, Photoshop is the industry standard 'very good' Photo editing app; I would expect a competing product from Serif would need more development time in comparison to Publisher (whose position in the marketplace is a lot more certain).

Publisher will be accepted & adopted a lot quicker, as there is room in the market for a version 1 'good' quality product release.

The Photo market is much more stabile, there are already a wide range of 'good' products at various price points.

The new Affinity Photo needs to be, 'very good' to compete; however a 'good' Affinity Publisher could easily make a big impression, and attract a loyal user base to the brand.

As a consumer who has bought Designer, and who will buy Publisher, I would be more willing to switch from Photoshop to Photo, once data exchange is established in 2 of the 3 products.

Getting people to switch from Photoshop, is the biggest challenge, and I believe should take the longest development time to get perfect (not just a 'good' version 1.0 release).

Thank you to the Serif Team, you already have quite a few supporters.

"Any of these 3 apps can bring new customers or adpoters to the others 2", I don't agree with this, Photoshop is a hard nut to crack if Photo is released as the 2nd Affinity product release.  I don't believe that it will better PhotoShop if done on a short development cycle.

Designer is good, but I have already noticed 2 issues (in my 1st 30 mins use) which make me fully believe that this product has potential, but lacks feedback from a large professional user base.

• Staff

Sorry if this sounds a little condescending but it doesn't lack feedback. It "lacks" development time. People can't expect to get the same features from a 1.0 release as they get from a two decade software like Illustrator or Photoshop. This is just the beginning. It will get there, but not in a blink of an eye as most people seem to expect.

"It doesn't lack feedback. It "lacks" development time", I believe it needs both feedback & development time.

I wish Serif every success, which is why cracking the 2 easier nuts, appears to be a more logical approach.

There are even mediocre Photo apps already that will even be hard competition, let alone PS.

What I have seen so far is very encouraging, and Serif appears to be a very refreshing company.

I look forward to all future releases.  People are crying out loud to leave Adobe CC pricing, grab that window of opportunity while it is there.