You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush Glitch?

Just updated to 1.9.2 and the paint brushes have a glitch. I pick the size I want, either with the bracket keys or with the Control+Option method, and no matter how big or small I make the brush, once I start painting, it turns into small brush while I paint. Short screen recording attached. 

8 hours ago, Doren Sorell said:

By the way, is there a way to notify Affinity about this? Submit a support ticket? 

You've done it by posting here.

They are very busy, and you will probably get responses from users before Serif gets here, but they will get to it eventually.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Doren Sorell,
You have the Stabilizer activated with the Window set to 1 (which you are confusing with the paint cursor). Notice you also have the Flow set to 1 which make changes on the image hard to detect. Check these settings - turn off the stabilizer (if you don't need it) - and everything should work correctly.

On 4/1/2021 at 4:41 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Doren Sorell,
You have the Stabilizer activated with the Window set to 1 (which you are confusing with the paint cursor). Notice you also have the Flow set to 1 which changes on the image hard to detect. Check these settings - turn off the stabilizer (if you don't need it) - and everything should work correctly.

Thanks for your input. But I tried to those and the glitch still happens. AND -- Photo has slowed down DRAMATICALLY since the updating; it's quite bad. 

For now, until it's fixed, I've reverted to the 1.9.1. I'll stay there for now and update when it 1.9.3 comes out. 

But -- I'd still like to hear from the Serif about this, so hopefully they'll respond here when they can. 

Thanks everyone. 

35 minutes ago, Doren Sorell said:

But -- I'd still like to hear from the Serif about this, so hopefully they'll respond here when they can. 

As you can see from his post, MEB is a member of the Serif staff, on the QA/Support team.

Hints: if your browser window is wide enough, you see he's a Moderator (in red) and has a Staff badge. If you're window is not wide enough, you'll see his name in red.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Doren Sorell,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. From the screen recording you posted above, the behaviour seems coherent with the settings you have chosen in the context toolbar. Can you please record another one with the stabilizer turned OFF and the Flow and Opacity set to above 50% at least so we can be sure there's changes detectable on screen please? Also please try on a regular pixel layer besides on an adjustment's built-in mask  as in the screen recording you posted above. At the minimum the small blue circular cursor of the stabilizer shouldn't appear anymore.
I'm aware you have reverted back to a previous version but since i can't replicate any weird issues here and the previous recording you did seems to be doing what i would expect, i'm not sure what else to suggest.

Hi, MEB

Yeah, I already reverted back to a previous version; I needed to because I have client work I need to do. 

I did turn off stabilizer and followed your instructions and I get what you mean, and that makes sense, now that I think about it and see that it is the same on 1.9.1. 

But it did slow down in performance as well. Maybe I'll update again and try it again. 

I'll let you know. 

Thanks for responding. 😃

• Staff

Hi Doren,
No worries, glad to know it's working for you too.
Regarding being slower, can you be more specific please? What operation is slower exactly - changing the brush size, paining with it...? Is this file specific, i mean, can you replicate it with other files as well or it's happening with a specific file or with some specific layer construct (some combination of live filters etc)?