You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to copy a part of a outline

Hi, I'm doing sketches on garments and trying to sort out how to easily select and copy a part of a outline. Let's say I want to copy the neckline shape on the garment in the picture below, to add a top stitch around the neck hole but I don't want to re-draw it, I just want a copy of the neckline shape to make a dashed line to illustrate a stitching. ( I have no problem with dash lines, only copying).

In illustrator I could easily select single lines on a object and drag a copy of selected lines, but on Affinity I don't know how to do this and it slows down the work a lot.

post-19813-0-87454900-1444748802_thumb.png

Hi Janne,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To quickly copy the path with the brush, press ⌘ (cmd) or ⌥ (option/alt) and drag the shape with the Move Tool. You can also copy/paste.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I know the normal way to alt drag to make copies of objects, but what asking for is a change to select only a segment between two points and copy that. I can only choose a whole object with the move tool but can't find a way to select a single line to copy it. I can work around by breaking curves but in that case it's faster to just manually draw the new shapes I want instead of drag-copying them.

//Janne

Hi janne,

Sorry, seems i misunderstood your post.

It's not possible to select and copy just a segment of a shape/path. You have to break the curves as you are already doing.

Maybe you should add this to the Feature Requests section, so it doesn't get lost here.

Hi Meb,

Ok, thanks for the answer. I'll add it to the feature requests, since it's a very basic and useful feature.

//Janne

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

In which SVG editor except AI (can´t proof it) is this a "basic" feature?

Is that significant? Some people would find the feature to be useful in Affinity apps, regardless of which other apps have the feature.

• Staff
On 7/31/2020 at 9:39 PM, Jon Cooper said:

Following up on this: is there a way yet to copy a part of path or shape? 

Hi Jon Cooper,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's still no way to copy/duplicate just a segment of a path or shape without breaking it first, sorry. There's a related functionality you may not be aware of - copy node's handles (check the clip below notice the duplicate icon cursor while i drag a node over another one) - but it's not what you want.

2020-08-03 09.47.58.gif