You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tour Series over the years: Peterborough

peter

For a while, the Semi-pro bike race came to Peterborough and did a few laps of the town centre. The events were held in Spring and after the shops were closed, typically 7pm starts. So as you can imagine the lighting was always tricky: some years were more photogenic than others.

Hope_she_recovers.jpg

Edited by peter
typos

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I've always thought that if I were good enough, not that I was (regular mtb racing was my level also safer than training on road), the inevitable crashes would put me off. Not fun at all.

Crashing in mtb races doesn't tend to hurt anywhere near as much and the field spreads out really quickly so there's no bunch.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

You're not wrong. I can't remember what happened to her, as I was asked to look after the paramedic's two wheeled ambulance, a black mountain bike with flashing BLUE LEDS! No danger of SMIDSY with that one!

As for me, a slo descender on the tarmac: it's the slowies that are the worst. I once fell over, because a stupid mobility scooter couldn't decide which way he was going. The fact that I was doing about 3mph, and clipped in, going slower than him didn't bode well, on the wet concrete underpass floor. I lost all grip and landed squarely on my right hip.

God, I howled. That went straight through the skin. muscle and bone. Talk about bruised marrow! Mr Dozy just carried on regardless.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

So, what do you think of Cyclocross and gravel?

The UCI have decided to make Paris-Roubaix safer: by taking out the tarmac sections, as that's where the most crashes have been happening lately.

I've had a few crashes on the road and they all hurt whetever speed I was going. My big one was a car turned across me and went straight over the roof, luckily I landed on my head or it could have been more serious lol. Still haven't recovered from that properly and that was 15+ years ago. I stick to offroad these days, not mtb'ing as there isn't much around here. Then it's just the out of control dogs and more recently the pesky escooters. But they give me something to have a shout about!

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Wow , I've had a 15mph skid on freshly mud coated roads, a head collision with the tarmac, a somersault whilst strapped in (rat traps: them where the days) and my latest was being T-boned by a Beemer, I was sprawled over the bonnet. I'm not a pro stuntman like you! Insurance paid me £3k though, that's how I paid for my car. I still can't descend-like-Cancellera on a road bike, like I can in my car.

15 minutes ago, peter said:

So, what do you think of Cyclocross and gravel?

The UCI have decided to make Paris-Roubaix safer: by taking out the tarmac sections, as that's where the most crashes have been happening lately.

I used to hate mtb races where you had to get off and push or carry the bike, I want to ride not mess about with that nonsense! So cyclocross never really appealed to me either for the same reason. Gravel is a roadies idea of mtb'ing. The geometry is very close to early/mid '90's mountain bikes even if the manufacturers pretend they're not and it's as tame as you can get, more tame than mtb'ing back then. But it suits them, it's about speed rather than skill. I've nothing against it though although you'd think they invented off road the way some talk. I actually like the geometry, once you're over a certain age you don't want a huge saddle to bar drop if any, at least I don't.

I've not read that they've decided to do that. I think riders need sorting out, there's some poor riding standards out there, and not sure simply removing the tarmac section will make much difference. But as is the way these days it's always someone else's fault, like organisers, barriers etc rather than looking at themselves and riding more sensibly.

I think banning two way radios would improve safety more, make it one way, rider to car/race control. As it is all the DS's are telling them to move up at the same time and that is creating some of the problems.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

4 minutes ago, peter said:

Wow , I've had a 15mph skid on freshly mud coated roads, a head collision with the tarmac, a somersault whilst strapped in (rat traps: them where the days) and my latest was being T-boned by a Beemer, I was sprawled over the bonnet. I'm not a pro stuntman like you! Insurance paid me £3k though, that's how I paid for my car. I still can't descend-like-Cancellera on a road bike, like I can in my car.

Yeah, I've always much preferred going up hill than going down, you're much less likely to fall off!

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

4 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I've not read that they've decided to do that. I think riders need sorting out, there's some poor riding standards out there, and not sure simply removing the tarmac section will make much difference. But as is the way these days it's always someone else's fault, like organisers, barriers etc rather than looking at themselves and riding more sensibly.

I think banning two way radios would improve safety more, make it one way, rider to car/race control. As it is all the DS's are telling them to move up at the same time and that is creating some of the problems.

What is tomorrow's date? 

You were right about the radios. The risks of distraction/nagging aren't helping. Look at what happened to Froome and Wiggins. Did he say go or no? That cost Froomey his first tour victory.

Imagine a criterium on cobbles. 

Absolutely, too much screengazing, kills the mood and makes for lousy pictures. 

I hope this doping scandal dies away, it's gone on for too long. Put Greg Lemond in charge, as he has one hell of an axe to grind.

Yes, the Dutch are mad like that and GCN have compared the different types of bikes and how they compared over on their channel. There's always one rogue rock/razor bill/hidden boulder/anti tank device to avoid!