You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Format Export Fails And Freezes Affinity Designer 1.9.2

With the attached file Affinity Designer is unable to export the graphics as PDF, EPS or SVG.

After trying to export nothing seems to happen. Nothing will be exported.
Designer freezes/hangs in that way, thats unable to make a lot of changes in the open document AND it's not possible to close the program at all. It's possible to close the documents, but I have to kill the Designer's task to close the program!

It's a very complex graphic, but I found out that the problem depends on applying an outline (stroke) to the graphic. If there is no outline - export seems to work.

I'm using macOS Catalina 10.15.7

BR Alex

AffinityDesigner192-Vector-Export-Fails-1.afdesign

Edited by Eran Dax Lonker

• Staff

Thanks for the file Alex.

Whats happening is that as you've used a stroke set to Align Outer it has to be expanded on export to a normal curve to look the same as your design, as this is not supported in PDF, EPS or SVG. However as your design has hundreds if not thousands of nodes its becoming a very complex operation and is either taking a much larger amount of time, or is getting stuck. We do have this logged so I will get your file passed over as an additional example.

The best way to work around this is to double your stroke width and set it to Align Centre, and then set it to appear behind the fill. This will give you the same look as your design, but should export out.

Thanks for your fast reply, Sean.

Very good to know, and you are right - if I set the stroke to Align Center it works again. 😎

My solution was to load the design into Illustrator and reducing the nodes with the simplify function. So I got a nearly identical design, imported the design in Affinity Designer again and then I could finally export it with an outer stoke. It's a pity that I didn't found that the stroke alignment was the problem - It took me more than an hour to find a solution. 😑