You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hardware acceleration error with Microsoft Surface with 1.9.2

Since the update, that fixed the error when starting with hardware acceleration, Photo now starts correctly. However, no file can be opened when the acceleration is switched on.
The patch level of Windows is up to date with all optional fixes.
The Surface has an Intel HD Graphics 620 installed. The driver is up to date.

Regards

Jens

Hello,

I think it has to do with the latest patchday from Microsoft. Photo worked wonderfully until then. I also did not have the start-up problems with acceleration switched on. After the patchday, Photo froze sometimes during startup or latest during load documents. The only solution was to turn off the acceleration.
Since the update to 1.9.2, Photo no longer freezes on start-up. 
Without acceleration I can load a document and it appears after a few seconds for editing.
With acceleration this does not work. When I open the same document with it, a message appears at the top right that a document is being opened. I can do everything in Photo during this process. It reacts normally. Only the document does not open. My longest wait was 5 minutes, but nothing happened. You can't close Photo because a document is being loaded. The only option is to end the task in the Task Manager.

Regards

Jens

Hello

The HD and not the UHD is installed in the Surface. The hardware from Intel should be the same chipset, but Microsoft has probably made a few adjustments so that the original drivers from Intel cannot be installed and you have to use the Microsoft drivers. At least that's what Intel's hardware analysis tool tells you. The OpenCL.dll also comes from Microsoft, so there can be considerable differences. 
There were probably some difficulties with the patches in the context of graphics processing during the last patchday. I think I'll open a support ticket at Microsoft.

Regards

Jens

• 2 months later...

A quick update from me. I tried to get ahead with Microsoft, but failed.
Every time a new patch comes from Microsoft, I tried the hardware acceleration and the error stays. With the patches KB5003637 and KB4023057, which I installed yesterday, I can open files when hardware acceleration is turned on. However, opening a 10MB RAW file takes about a minute and Windows frequently tells me in the windows titel that Affinity Photo is not responding while the file is loading. It strangely shows intermediate states of the image in different brightnesses when opening. After open finished, I can make adjustments and it looks like it will work. Then when I develop the RAW, Windows just shows me no response for Affinity Photo in the windows titel of affinity photo. I had to quit Affinity Photo with the task manager and restart to turn the acceleration off again.

Regards

Jens