You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

If I have a pixel selection, some regions are fully selected (ie white in the mask channel), some regions are not selected (black), and some regions are partially selected (e.g. if you do Select > Colour Range > Select Reds, and  these regions have greyscale values in the mask layer). The 'marching ants' shows me the region where the pixel selection is above some threshold (50%?). Is there some way to binarize the selection so  that all pixels that are selected above a certain threshold become fully selected (white) and all pixels below that amount become not selected (black) - e.g. leaving in the selection only the regions surrounded by the marching ants and removing the rest from the selection?

Thanks !

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

Apply a Threshold adjustment before you make the selection.

How would that help? The aim is to threshold the selection mask, not the actual image.

Channel/mask handling is not AP's forte. As far as I can see there is no way to threshold actual selection (as would be the first idea). It should though be possible to make selection a layer that can be thresholded and turn that back to mask. One of the workarounds that are plenty in Affinity environment..

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

Apply a Threshold adjustment before you make the selection.

7 minutes ago, Fixx said:

How would that help? The aim is to threshold the selection mask, not the actual image.

As long as there are no partially transparent pixels, a Threshold adjustment will yield a result where every pixel is either black or white. Making a selection from that will effectively ‘threshold’ the selection, and you can then remove the adjustment and copy the selected region in its original form.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As long as there are no partially transparent pixels, a Threshold adjustment will yield a result where every pixel is either black or white. Making a selection from that will effectively ‘threshold’ the selection, and you can then remove the adjustment and copy the selected region in its original form.

I would like to select based on a sampled color. This can't be done on a thresholded/binarized image... So I think first thresholding and then selecting won't work. I believe I need to first select based on a sampled color, and  then threshold the selection...

3 minutes ago, ateleman said:

I would like to select based on a sampled color. This can't be done on a thresholded/binarized image... So I think first thresholding and then selecting won't work. I believe I need to first select based on a sampled color, and  then threshold the selection...

Thanks for the clarification. I think you’re correct that my suggested method won’t work for what you want to do, but I’d like to think we’re simply missing a step here!

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

but I’d like to think we’re simply missing a step here!

@Fixx's idea might work.

1. Make the selection.
  2. Ctrl/Cmd+J to make a copy of the selected pixels as a new layer
  3. Threshold that layer. (Perhaps do a Black/White adjustment first?)
  4. Selection from Layer, then delete the layer. This leaves the thresholded selection.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

New Layer from Selection, then delete the layer.

I presume you meant to say ‘Selection from Layer’.

Alfred spacer.png