You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Urgent help please with masking problem

Hi all

In Photo I quite often create a mask by using the pen tool and clicking on the Mask button in the toolbar but something has gone wrong - every time I do this now, instead of giving me a mask layer like I was expecting, it gives me some other sort of layer.  It says 'Curve' by it and it looks like a mask but it doesn't work like a mask, I can't paint onto it to reveal etc.  I have no clue what is going on, please help!!!  This has broken. my workflow completely and I don't know what I've done - or is it the 1.9.1 upgrade that's broken it?

Thanks!

1285895992_ScreenShot2021-03-31at11_54_10AM.png.36c3280875029762d4dda3c5e378fb88.png

The pen tool is a vector tool and what you got there shown above is a vector cropping mask, thus (Curve). Switch to the arrow selection tool and apply a mask the usual way as a pixel mask (Pixel) then! - See also here this thread (top to bottom) for mask types etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

49 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The pen tool is a vector tool and what you got there shown above is a vector cropping mask, thus (Curve). Switch to the arrow selection tool and apply a mask the usual way as a pixel mask (Pixel) then! - See also here this thread (top to bottom) for mask types etc.

If I switch to the arrow selection tool the Mask / Selection buttons disappear.  This is really annoying!!  OK thanks for your help

58 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

OK so thinking about it more, I feel pretty stupid now.  I have been away from work for a couple of weeks holiday and got my own workflow confused when I got back.  Oops.  Thanks 🙂