You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello.

I was working with a document in AFDesigner before the last update.

There I used line spaced text like "16.5 pt", with decimal values.

Today I updated to version 1.9.2 and it is impossible to work with text and line spacing as before.

All decimal values (16,5 for example) are transformed into larger numbers automatically (in this case 165).

I have the same issue in AFPhoto qith 1.9.2, but not in AFPublisher with 1.9.1

How can it be solved?

I attach an example video.

Thank you.

I use the dot not the comma for the decimal value indicator. Perhaps there is some language setting changed in the new update. Does using the dot/period/full stop ( . ) work meaning 16.7 not 16,7.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I use the dot not the comma for the decimal value indicator. Perhaps there is some language setting changed in the new update. Does using the dot/period/full stop ( . ) work meaning 16.7 not 16,7.

Hi! I forget to say that I tried using dots and not commas, but the issue is still the same.

Should be fixed in Publisher: forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138904-affinity-publisher-for-macos-192

Possibly they forgot to fix it for some localizations in Designer?
Works for me when I switch to German. (Can't check any other localization, I'm always deleting them with Monolingual when installing a new app.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

This comma vs decimal point separators have always broken some things on MacOS (X), ever since 20 years now. (And on Classic Mac OS before that!)
For instance, the standard Swiss locale uses for numbers a decimal point and an ' apostrophe for thousands separators. This would always break some functionality in FileMaker calculations. So I had to change the global System Prefs > Language > Advanced > General to decimal comma and without thousands separator for numbers – while keeping it for currency display – which again totally breaks my habit of typing a decimal point because most apps now expect a comma. But nevermind, I'm getting used to it
Now… oddly enough, Affinity ignores this system settings and displays and expects decimal points anyway. Possibly because I'm using the English-US language localization…? No idea. At least, luckily it doesn't seem to be affected by this bug.
It's a very fragile balance… :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Hi Mgn,

Sorry about this. I've replicated this and will get it passed on to the developers. It is definitely related to locales that use commas as decimal separators, so unfortunately you would need to switch that in your actual macOS language preferences, rather than just switch language in our app.

Hi again, thanks for your replies.

I tried to change the language preferences in MacOS, switching the use between dots and comas, but the result is the same and, when I try to use decimal values in afdesigner the program turn the value in a huge mode.

I hope the dev team could fix it in the next update.

2 minutes ago, Mgn said:

I tried to change the language preferences in MacOS,

Part of the problem is that for Apple, this very subject appears to be a constant "work in progress". The behavior changes literally with every major MacOS upgrade. And as noted, even Apple's own subsidiary FileMaker couldn't get it right throughout the decades. I'd also guess that crossplatform apps like Affinity (and e.g. FileMaker, for that matter) are more affected than "straight" Mac apps that simply rely on Apple's built-in frameworks.

7 minutes ago, Mgn said:

I hope the dev team could fix it in the next update.

Since there were similar bugs before, there could be a few workarounds that could also make it work for the time being, for example:

• type a value "elsewhere" into any other text field – that can be e.g. the global Spotlight Search field – copy as text and paste it into the Leading Override field
  • use the up/down arrows to change the value; option-click increments in decimal steps

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Mgn,

Sorry about this. I've replicated this and will get it passed on to the developers. It is definitely related to locales that use commas as decimal separators, so unfortunately you would need to switch that in your actual macOS language preferences, rather than just switch language in our app.

Hi,

I have the same issue in Windows 10: before the last update, the dot in the numeric keypad worked well as decimal separator and Affinity understood it correctly; now it doesn't work: I have to use the comma in the keyboard. Somewhat annoying...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:08 PM, Mgn said:

Hello.

I was working with a document in AFDesigner before the last update.

There I used line spaced text like "16.5 pt", with decimal values.

Today I updated to version 1.9.2 and it is impossible to work with text and line spacing as before.

All decimal values (16,5 for example) are transformed into larger numbers automatically (in this case 165).

I have the same issue in AFPhoto qith 1.9.2, but not in AFPublisher with 1.9.1

How can it be solved?

I attach an example video.

Thank you.

I have the same problem in Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 — the latest version. 
Neither dot nor comma works. 

Very disappointing that they don’t fix a bug for such a major and basic function ASAP. 

You reported this end of March. Now it is almost 2 months later. 

I am considering switching back to CS as there are so many problems with Affinity Suite, it is starting to annoy me. 
If it is just for hobby, this may be ok. But if you have to rely on your tools for professional projects, something like this is just not acceptable. 

4 minutes ago, Thomas M. Braun said:

Very disappointing that they don’t fix a bug for such a major and basic function ASAP.

Have you checked the latest beta?
forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, Pixeldude7 said:

I had the same issue and realized that you can alt+click-drag the line-spacing symbol to adjust the values in decimal increments. 👍

icon.jpg

Great, thanks. 
Better than nothing, though it is very annoying that the problem still hasn’t been fixed. 

I prefer we all write a line to the moderator to get pressure behind this. 
Can’t believe that such a basic function is being overlooked for so long. 

On 4/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Mgn,

Dear SeanP, 

it is June by now, and nothing has happened. I would think that the correction we’re talking about is a minor thing, so I just can’t understand why such an important feature is being overlooked for so long. 

I mean, AP is touting to be a professional page layout program and the precise selection of line spacing is an absolute basic feature. 

Could you please inquire and get back to us here with a date? When does Serif plan to correct this? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Thomas 

1 hour ago, Thomas M. Braun said:

it is June by now, and nothing has happened. I would think that the correction we’re talking about is a minor thing, so I just can’t understand why such an important feature is being overlooked for so long. 

The fix for this is available in at least some of the 1.9.4 beta applications that have been released, I believe, so it should be available in the retail 1.9.4 when it becomes available.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
9 hours ago, Thomas M. Braun said:

Dear SeanP, 

I mean, AP is touting to be a professional page layout program and the precise selection of line spacing is an absolute basic feature. 

Could you please inquire and get back to us here with a date? When does Serif plan to correct this? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Thomas 

Whilst I can understand you not wishing to use beta versions, to say nothing has happened is incorrect. As Walt has said this issue has been fixed by development in the current Publisher 1.9.4 beta available. When we're ready with some other fixes and are happy with the build it will be rolled out as a release patch, however we do not give dates on those.