You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo (Designer,Publisher) Vers.1.92 still slow startup

Today I installed the update for Photo version 1.92 for MacOS  11.2.3 and still a slow startup for about 15 seconds (so do Publisher and Designer), than its worky until you close the application.

Starting the app again, aprox. 2 hours later the same happend, waiting for Photo to start and watching the bounching app icon. That sucks, still not solved.

Regards

Michael

5 hours ago, thomasp said:

Not happening for me - Affinity store versions. Block internet access for these apps, see if things improve?

Not worky, still poor performance with a bounching app icon, after a app started it is fine working with it. Closing an app and do restart Photo, Designer or Publisher (bought from serif app store) the same game again!

I get three bounces for both Designer and Photo icons then they become operational.

If it's not the app surfing the net then perhaps it's some OS daemon verifying their certificate, talking to a server. My OS is rather locked down and a lot of daemons are blocked from net access, including many Apple ones - perhaps that's the reason I get no delays.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Michael_the_second, @zebra,
Thanks for your reports. The dev team is aware of the issue and already identified the cause however it wasn't yet possible to fix it for 1.9.2 without compromising other part of the code/functionality of the app. Thanks for your understanding/patience.

Thank you for your reply, so I am looking forward that serif will fix this annoying app start.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I go again, hopefully not, on my own 🙂

Photo 1.93 (apple store)   and the other Serif Apps Designer (Apple Store)  and Publisher (Serif store) still have a slow start up, approx. 30 bumps till they start up, I same issues as in Version 1.92.

Did Serif called that fixed?

MacOS 11.2.3 / 4GHZ Core I-7 /16 GB

• Staff

Hi @Michael_the_second,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Please check this post for an explanation of what's going on. This issue is still open/being worked on and wasn't fixed for v1.9.3 because the fix could cause other issues elsewhere in the app - see this post as well for more details. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

• 1 year later...

I "had" the same problem with my new M1 Max MacBook and I tried a couple of suggestions I found here in the Affinity forums and while one suggestion (copy app to Desktop, rename or delete original app, copy app back to Applications folder) cut the start up time almost in half, it still took quite a bit longer then Publisher which opens in 2 secs.

So I was looking in the Preferences in Designer and I noticed that Display rendering was set to OpenGL so I changed it to Metal and restarted my MacBook Pro and Designer and Photo now open in 2 sec. just like Publisher.

Hope this helps everyone!

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.25.29 PM.png