You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF Photo affinity-photo-1.9.2 freezes after opening JPG under Windows

Google übersetzer

After downloading and installing Photo 1.9.2, Affinity Photo freezes when opening one or more jpg files.
Even after the Open CL acceleration is turned off! I installed 1.9.1 again, everything works again!

The request to download at the start is annoying!

Nach dem Download und Installieren von Photo 1.9.2 friert Affinity Photo ein wenn ein oder Mehrere Jpg Dateien geöffnet werden.
Auch nach dem Open CL Beschleunigung abgestellt ist! Habe wieder 1.9.1 installiert alles geht wieder!

Lästig ist die Auforderung zum Download beim Start!

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Downloaded the v 1.9.2 update, installed it and now Afiinity Photo will not even start. Get a message each time I try that it has stopped working. This is the same with both JPEG and RAW files.

Any ideas, or do I have to reinstall v 1.9.1 and keep that? The update looks useful, but only if it can be used. I also agree with the OP that the reminder that there is an update available can be quite annoying.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Unfortunately the suggestions do not help.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and have never experienced any problems with updates not working - for program. All drivers are as up to date as possible and there are no problems with the system.

I have reinstalled v 1.9.1 and it works perfectly.

5 minutes ago, anisah said:

I have reinstalled v 1.9.1 and it works perfectly.

Ok, that sounds good. I don't remember Windows 7 😅

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

@Komatös

An den Jpg und an den Dateien kann es nicht liegen denn alle anderen Programme arbeiten mit den Dateien, es muss wieder mal ein Fehler in Affinity Photo 1.9.2. ---- sein. Denn unter 1.9.1.979 funktioniert es ja.
Hier ist wohl bei Affinity wieder ein Fehler.
Ich mag dieses Programm aber diese Fehler in den Updates sind ganz einfach nicht gut! 
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHz
Ram 8,00 GB (6,95 GB verwendbar)
64-Bit-Betriebssystem, x64-basierter Prozessor 
Win 10 Prof
Ich kann kein Englisch Daher die Automatische übersetzung

It can't be the jpg and the files because all other programmes work with the files, it must be another bug in Affinity Photo 1.9.2. ----. Because it works under 1.9.1.979.
There must be a bug in Affinity again.
I like this programme but these errors in the updates are simply not good! 

I don't know English Therefore the automatic translation
My System
Ram 8.00 GB (6.95 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor 
Win 10 Prof

@Friedhelm Benner Moin Moin, dann hier mal direkt auf deutsch. Also ich nutze auch Windows 10 Pro x64 und habe keine derartigen Fehler. Bitte öffne einmal die "Eingabeaufforderung" oder Windows PowerShell. Die erreichst Du indem Du mit der rechten Maustaste auf das Windowssymbol klickst. Dann startest Du die Eingabeaufforderung oder PowerShell als Administrator.

Gebe nun den Befehl sfc /scannow ein.

Gabe - Thank you for your comment much appreciated. There are still a lot of people like myself who are using Windows 7 as they don't like the idea of Microsoft telling us what to download and when with updates, etc. Neither do I like the spyware built into Windows 10, so, until such time as Microsoft lets me run my computer the way I like, I will continue with Windows 7. I buy an operating system from them - it does not give them permission to tell me how to do things.

Hope you can find a way to fix the glitch with Windows 7 as I am very fond of Affinity Photo. Having changed from Adobe Photoshop I would not go back as I can do so much more and get the results I want with AP. Great program.

@Komatös

Hat nichts gebracht außer dass ich 1.9.2 wieder deinstalliert habe und  1.9.1 wieder Installiert habe!
Ach so *.afphoto damit hat Af 1.9.2 keine Probleme, aber mit jpg 

Did nothing except that I uninstalled 1.9.2 again and reinstalled 1.9.1!
Oh * .afphoto Af 1.9.2 has no problems with that, but with jpg

• Staff
12 hours ago, Friedhelm Benner said:

@Komatös

Hat nichts gebracht außer dass ich 1.9.2 wieder deinstalliert habe und  1.9.1 wieder Installiert habe!
Ach so *.afphoto damit hat Af 1.9.2 keine Probleme, aber mit jpg 

Did nothing except that I uninstalled 1.9.2 again and reinstalled 1.9.1!
Oh * .afphoto Af 1.9.2 has no problems with that, but with jpg

I suggest you create a new thread following this guide and we can have a look got you: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

@Gabe

I wrote the first post here, I don't have Win 7, the computer has never seen Win 7! I never wrote about Win 7!
Everything has worked so far, so this is a bug in Photo

Ich habe den ersten Beitrag hier geschrieben, ich habe kein Win 7 der Rechner hat noch nie Win 7 gesehen! Ich habe nie von Win 7 geschrieben!
Bisher hat alles funktioniert, daher das ist ein Fehler in Photo

Hi Gabe - thank you for the response, but it is very unhelpful.

Firstly the "Tech Specs", on the Serif Affinity Photo website state that this is what is required: " Windows® 7 (Service Pack 1; Aero enabled)", which is the OS that I am using. No mention is made of other updates or any other requirements, save those of the computer hardware, which my system far exceeds. If what you say is accurate, this is very misleading To not state which specific additional updates are required is most unhelpful and is likely to affect many more users than just myself, and is likely to deter others.

Secondly why should v1.9.1 work extremely well without the updates, then, all of a sudden, with no warning, v1.9.2, which is a useful, but not major update, not work without ALL updates? This would appear to be illogical and requires further explanation. There are many users, like myself, who do not want to download all updates to a system that is already bloatware and also for the well known reason that very many of the updates are for the benefit of the manufacturer rather than the user. Even the security updates can be side-stepped by the use of a very effective antivirus program and a good quality third party firewall - these being much safer than the built in Microsoft alternatives.

It would be appreciated if you would provide further explanation as to the points made above, especially which specific updates are now required for the program to operate, as, according to the technical specifications my computer system far exceeds the published requirements.

• Staff
1 hour ago, anisah said:

There are many users, like myself, who do not want to download all updates to a system

There are not many users who are not willing to update their systems with the security updates, and most do trust in the operating system they license use of and rely on.

It is currently unclear to us what has changed, we have not deliberately changed the specification or knowingly added any specific functionality between 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 to require the updates, we are simply stating that the updates will resolve this for you. So sorry we do not have a better explanation, but either way we would always suggest customers install the latest updates to the OS. We are still looking into this crash, but so far it does not seem to be a change we have made. I doubt that you need ALL the updates, but we do know that when we installed all the updates on a clean Windows 7 the software started working. I suspect you only need some of them but we cannot say which those are , sorry.

I would expect the minimum spec on our site should always have said "including the latest updates". For example we moved our minimum spec from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 because we require a version of .NET that would not run on vanilla Windows 8. We did not have lots of users saying they did not trust 8.1 and missing out on the Affinity software patches. Serif cannot support our software on all possible combinations of not updated or half updated operating systems, it would be impossible to test.

To some extent I am surprised that 1.9.1 was working for you. If you simply update the OS, the software will work. You choosing not to update your windows 7 may mean you cannot update to 1.9.2 but that is your choice.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Verflixt wer setzt denn immer noch das schon lange überalterte Win 7 ein. Die Nutzer gehören bestraft! Wieso hängt der Win7 Benutzer sich in diese Frage, ich finde das als eine Frechheit mit einem System welsches nicht mehr unterstützt wird und mittlerweile eine Virusschleuder ist, weiter zu Arbeiten. Das musste jetzt mal raus sonst wachsen mir noch mehr graue Haare.

Mein System
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G mit Radeon Vega Graphics 3,60 GHz
RAM 8,00 GB (6,95 GB verwendbar)
Win 10 Prof Version 20H2
Alle Update sind gemacht! 

Ich begreife es nicht! 
Das einzige was ich nicht habe, ist ein Audio Treiber der bei mir einen Fehler verursachte! 

Ich warte jetzt bis zum nächsten Update von Affinity

Damn who is still using the long outdated Win 7? The users should be punished! Why does the Win7 user depend on this question, I think it's a cheek with a system that is no longer supported and is now a virus sling to continue working. That had to get out now, otherwise my hair will grow even more gray.

My system
RAM 8.00 GB (6.95 GB usable)
Win 10 Prof Version 20H2
All updates are done!

I don't get it!
The only thing I don't have is an audio driver that caused an error for me!

I am now waiting for the next Affinity update

Ich nutze Win10Prof mit der Version: 20H2      Niemals mehr Win7 weil total überaltert und nicht mehr Aktuelll Wer das noch nutzt, der ist eine Vierenschleuder und mit Schlangenöl verseucht!

Mein System
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G mit Radeon Vega Graphics 3,60 GHz
RAM 8,00 GB (6,95 GB verwendbar)
Win 10 Prof Version 20H2
Alle Updates sind abgeschlossen!

Jetzt nachdem heute Abend mir noch ein Update angezeigt wurde, läuft auch Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 anstandslos! 
Also viel Lärm um nichts! Trotzdem Danke an alle die versucht haben zu helfen!!

Eine Anmerkung noch, mich hat geärgert dass dieser Win7 Nutzer sich in meine Fragestellung eingemischt hat!

Warum unterstützt Affinity noch Win7. Alle anderen Programme die aktuell sind arbeiten nicht mehr mit Windows 7! 

I use Win10Prof with the version: 20H2 Never again Win7 because it is totally outdated and no longer up-to-date.

My system
RAM 8.00 GB (6.95 GB usable)
Win 10 Prof Version 20H2
All updates are complete!

Now that an update was shown to me this evening, Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 is also running without any problems!
So much ado about nothing! Still thanks to everyone who tried to help !!

One more note, I was annoyed that this Win7 user interfered in my question!

Why does Affinity still support Win7. All other programs that are currently no longer work with Windows 7!

• 1 month later...

I installed 1.9.2.1035 and jpeg won't open. Only message in the right top corner "document will be loaded" 

Afphoto files open correctly. Jpeg freezes. 

Deinstallation and re-install didn't bring any progress. 

System is an actual win10 with latest updates. 

2 minutes ago, DerOlli said:

I installed 1.9.2.1035 and jpeg won't open. Only message in the right top corner "document will be loaded" 

Afphoto files open correctly. Jpeg freezes. 

Deinstallation and re-install didn't bring any progress. 

System is an actual win10 with latest updates. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Edit > Preferences, switch to Performance, and see if you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled. If so, disable it and see if that resolves your problem. If it does, then you probably have a problem with your graphics (GPU) drivers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to the Affinity forums @DerOlli!

I guess that can be cured by disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences >> Performance. Just for completeness for the developers reading this: What graphic adapter are you using and is the driver up-to-date?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

37 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @DerOlli!

I guess that can be cured by disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences >> Performance. Just for completeness for the developers reading this: What graphic adapter are you using and is the driver up-to-date?

Thanks, that worked! 

As I'm working on a MS Surface 7 pro my abilities to update or improve my graphic drivers etc. are quite limited. But disabling the acceleration worked. 

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Edit > Preferences, switch to Performance, and see if you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled. If so, disable it and see if that resolves your problem. If it does, then you probably have a problem with your graphics (GPU) drivers.

Thanks. It worked! 😊