You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Install on any other drive other than C: ?

Hello,
I'm currently trying to install the 1.92 upgrade for Windows. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to do this on any drive other than C :.
Even though I had actually uninstalled everything, an "update" is carried out - without asking on C :.
Can it be done differently, e.g. B. Drive E :?
Thank you.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

In my experience, if the applications are properly uninstalled (via the Windows Control Panel) then upon the next run of the installer it prompts for an installation location. How did you do your uninstall?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Strange. I'm not sure why that's happening, then.

You could try the Microsoft Uninstall Troubleshooter.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Try this:

1. Uninstall the application.
  2. Run the installer
  3. After it installs, upload the Setup.log and SetupUI.log files for us to look at. You can find instructions for finding the file here:

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Are you perhaps uninstalling the beta and not the release version? Or restart you machine to see if the uninstall is not quite finished. What you have done is clearly not quite enough to fully uninstall.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I have all Affinity-Tools deinstalled  and I have rebooted the pc. I tryed it with the "normal" Windows-Panel, reinstalled it – tryed BCUninstaller and the microsoft-tool you recommend. If I start a new installation – I get only a possibility to "aktualisieren" – on 😄

Greetings

• Staff

Can you run the Microsoft Uninstaller tool again and when prompted to select a program to uninstall select Not Listed and then enter the following: {6DE3A888-B2F4-45D9-BACD-97D65DBA0679} - this should remove the old version.

Hi,

it seems, that I have no chance to install Affinity on my drive C.

Nothing will halp. It doesn't work.

I can install and uninstall in different ways with different tools.
When trying to reinstall it, the only thing left is "update!" On drive C.

I recently uninstalled 1.9 and went back a couple of versions.  I may be misremembering, but I'm fairly sure I was given the choice of installation location.   It might be worth trying to install an old version and then upgrading that.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

3 hours ago, rave007 said:

Startup: 30.03.2021 17:52:44
OS version: 6.1.7601
ProductName: Designer
ProductType: Retail
Opening HKLM...
    OK
Opening registry key: 'SOFTWARE\Serif\Affinity\Designer\1'...
    Failed

Getting ProgramW6432 environment variable...
    OK
Install path not found, using default: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Microsoft (R) CLR Native Image Generator - Version 4.8.3761.0
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load dependency System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80070002)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.IUriToStreamResolver of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Foundation.IAsyncOperation`1 of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Storage.Streams.IInputStream of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.UI.Interop.WebViewControlAcceleratorKeyPressedEventArgs of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.UI.WebViewControlContentLoadingEventArgs of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.UI.WebViewControlDeferredPermissionRequest of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.UI.WebViewControlDOMContentLoadedEventArgs of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.UI.Interop.WebViewControl of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)
+Info: ExecNetFx:  Failed to load WinRT type dependency Windows.Web.UI.Interop.WebViewControlProcess of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView, Version=6.99.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4aff67a105548ee2 because of the following error : Der Typ konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131522)

+Info: ExecNetFx:  2>    Compiling assembly Serif.Affinity, Version=1.9.2.1035, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (CLR v4.0.30319) ...
+Info: ExecNetFx:  4>    Compiling assembly Serif.Win32, Version=1.9.2.1035, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (CLR v4.0.30319) ...
+Info: ExecNetFx:  5>    Compiling assembly Serif.Windows, Version=1.9.2.1035, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (CLR v4.0.30319) ...
+Info: ExecNetFx:  1>    Compiling assembly C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Designer.exe (CLR v4.0.30319) ...
+Info: ExecNetFx:  3>    Compiling assembly Serif.Interop.Persona, Version=1.9.2.1035, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (CLR v4.0.30319) ...
+Info: === Logging stopped: 30.03.2021  17:53:14 ===
+MsiOperation result: SUCCESS
+Setting result page message: Setup erfolgreich beendet

+Switching to page: Result
+Operation finished
+Main window close requested

Well, the installer tells "Install path not found, using default: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer". Also at the end it tells success and the log doesn't list any fatal errors, but it can't find certain WinRT dependencies (Windows.Web.UI.WebViewControlDOMContentLoadedEventArgs of assembly Microsoft.Toolkit.Wpf.UI.Controls.WebView).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, rave007 said:

Yes, I read this – but what shall I do, to install Affinity to drive e: or f:?

I doubt that wouldn't change much here, if the Installer doesn't offer you to select a target drive for installation!

Since according to Win MSI installer log files, the Installer looks for a registry key like "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Serif\Affinity\Photo\1 ..." and there then under "Photo Install Path:" for a value like "D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\" ... see this ...

Opening HKLM...
    OK
Opening registry key: 'SOFTWARE\Serif\Affinity\Photo\1'...
    OK
Reading registry data...
    Photo Install Path: D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\
    Photo Desktop shortcut: 1

... but in your case it doesn't find such a registry key/value pair, aka ...

Opening HKLM...
    OK
Opening registry key: 'SOFTWARE\Serif\Affinity\Designer\1'...
    Failed

... otherwise it would have taken the path to install from there. So it falls back to a default value setting on drive C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer instead!

You can probably influence the installment drive:path by providing such a registry key/value pair then. - But overall it's something the Affinity Win support team should better tell you here, how to solve that in detail!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
On 3/31/2021 at 12:57 PM, rave007 said:

Hi,

it seems, that I have no chance to install Affinity on my drive C.

Nothing will halp. It doesn't work.

I can install and uninstall in different ways with different tools.

The option to change the installation path only happens when installing the app from scratch and not whilst updating. Your installation appears to be in a state where the 1.9.2 update can see some registry keys that relate to 1.9.1, so it thinks the app is still installed when it isn't. What happened when you ran the Microsoft Uninstaller tool and entered {6DE3A888-B2F4-45D9-BACD-97D65DBA0679}?

Since Windows Vista, programs intended for use by all users should be installed under Program Files, Program Files (x86) or Windows folders. Its a Microsoft thing intended to reduce the damage viruses can cause.  These locations give the files and programs special permissions. If you were able to install in other locations it is likely you will see strange behaviour. For more details read up on user account contrl, but it gets very technical very quickly. If you are looking to use another location because you are short of disk space, it would be better to free up space by moving My Documents/Music/Photographs to anotger drive and running the Windows 10 disk space utility. If thats not eneough it may be time to consider a larger C: drive.

The Affinity applications (and many others) work just fine when installed on other drives, @DrBob53 , at least for single user systems.

I install most of my applications on drive E: and have done so for many years.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
24 minutes ago, DrBob53 said:

If you were able to install in other locations it is likely you will see strange behaviour.

Not for Affinity Applications. This is not helpful to the user who wants to install elsewhere and they should be able to like every other user who installs from Affinity Store installs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello,

Thank you for the effort. Yes, most applications will work fine on other drives (my C drive isn't that big). On another PC, the option to select the installation drive and directory is displayed.
And yes, I tested to change the installation path in the registry - but I think this is not a right solution ...

The problem is, I guess, I can't properly uninstall Affinity.

20 minutes ago, rave007 said:

And yes, I tested to change the installation path in the registry - but I think this is not a right solution ...

If it allows you to reinstall on another drive, it may be the best solution for you. But I'm sure Serif would like to figure out the problem.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
35 minutes ago, rave007 said:

Well

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

What happened when you ran the Microsoft Uninstaller tool and entered {6DE3A888-B2F4-45D9-BACD-97D65DBA0679}?

have you done this? If so, can you please reply to Leigh

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Well

have you done this? If so, can you please reply to Leigh

Hello,

Thank you for the effort. Yes, most applications will work fine on other drives (my C drive isn't that big). On another PC, the option to select the installation drive and directory is displayed.

And yes, I tested to change the manual for the installation path in the registry - but I think this is not a correct solution ...

@Leigh
Yes, I have tryed this. But it seems, that nothing happens. My next try to install Affinity – I get "aktualisieren" – on device C.

Edited by rave007

• Staff

The Log you attached was for an install of Affinity Designer, and so Leigh gave you the uninstall number for Affinity Designer 1.9.1

Please Can you run the Microsoft Uninstaller tool again and when prompted to select a program to uninstall select Not Listed and then enter the following: {A19AD199-53D0-44E2-9AF4-94CDCE8A2DCB}

which will uninstall all vestiges of 1.9.2 Affinity Publisher

Then you use the   Microsoft Uninstaller tool as before and enter {F4A3B585-733F-463B-A5FD-1A7967531CE7}

which will uninstall all vestiges of 1.9.1 Affinity Publisher

Then restart your computer and try to install Affinity Publisher and you should be offered a full install not repair and finally be able to choose another location than C:\

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd