You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t use Affinity Photo and Design since the 1.9 update

Hi everyone, I haven’t been able to use Affinity Photo and Design since the 1.9 update. They don’t even launch when I try to use them. I’ve read about uncheck the acceleration added but how can I even do that when I can’t even use the apps?  Strange how it worked preferably under the 1.85 update. Would love to use the latest version of Affinity Photo and Affinity Design, thanks in advance everyone. 

You might try this (originally posted by: v_kyr):

If you are able to reach the Preferences settings before crashing, switch there to the Performance settings and disable the hardware acceleration settings. Afterwards restart and retry. 

Or you can try out one of the latest Beta builds which should have addressed many issues related to these OpenCL issues!

If all above mentioned doesn't help, look for possible Affinity crash reports, which should then hopefully tell the cause of all evil ...

3 hours ago, CharlieMoore123 said:

Hi everyone, I haven’t been able to use Affinity Photo and Design since the 1.9 update. They don’t even launch when I try to use them. I’ve read about uncheck the acceleration added but how can I even do that when I can’t even use the apps?  Strange how it worked preferably under the 1.85 update. Would love to use the latest version of Affinity Photo and Affinity Design, thanks in advance everyone. 

Have you updated your drivers?

2 hours ago, PeteMacca said:

You might try this (originally posted by: v_kyr):

If you are able to reach the Preferences settings before crashing, switch there to the Performance settings and disable the hardware acceleration settings. Afterwards restart and retry. 

Or you can try out one of the latest Beta builds which should have addressed many issues related to these OpenCL issues!

If all above mentioned doesn't help, look for possible Affinity crash reports, which should then hopefully tell the cause of all evil ...

I tried to fix the performance by adding the text in the settings, but it still didn’t work. 

@CharlieMoore123 What if you try the Beta Version, you can find here?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Try the beta first as this fixes a lot of issues running the app up. Please follow the link Komatös provided.

If that doesn't fix it, it could be the profile issue we've seen:

Ideally we'll need to see what Colour Profile the monitor is using, and if possible get a copy of it. You should be able to switch it to use an sRGB profile which should hopefully prevent the crashing.

1. Search for Colour Management from the Start menu and click to open.
  2. With the Devices tab visible, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu.
  3. Can you attach a screenshot of this dialog. I imagine you should see a profile listed and the profiles filename in the list. Please note this down
  4. Go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color
  5. Find the Colour Profile in here that shares the same filename as the one in the Devices list above in Step 3
  6. Once found copy this to your desktop and then attach it your forum post.
  7. Once you have done this - please follow the next steps to change it to use an sRGB profile. However please do the above first as this profile is very useful to us.

Now...

1. Back in the Devices tab, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu and tick Use my settings for this device is selected.
  2. Now click Add... and select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the list and click OK. The sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile should now appear in the Profiles associated with this device: section.
  3. Select the profile and click Set as Default Profile to make it the default.
  4. Close the Colour Management window and restart your Affinity app.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Try the beta first as this fixes a lot of issues running the app up. Please follow the link Komatös provided.

Ideally we'll need to see what Colour Profile the monitor is using, and if possible get a copy of it. You should be able to switch it to use an sRGB profile which should hopefully prevent the crashing.

2. With the Devices tab visible, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu.
  3. Can you attach a screenshot of this dialog. I imagine you should see a profile listed and the profiles filename in the list. Please note this down
  5. Find the Colour Profile in here that shares the same filename as the one in the Devices list above in Step 3
  7. Once you have done this - please follow the next steps to change it to use an sRGB profile. However please do the above first as this profile is very useful to us.

Now...

1. Back in the Devices tab, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu and tick Use my settings for this device is selected.
  2. Now click Add... and select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the list and click OK. The sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile should now appear in the Profiles associated with this device: section.

Will try this and let you know, thank you very much

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Now...

Hi again, 

My computer is in French so I dont know what else I should do ... I was just able to do the first two steps you provided in the first part of your message. 

Capture.PNG

Sélectionnez "Utiliser mes paramètres..." et voyez quel profil de couleur est utilisé.
Dans le répertoire indiqué (point 4), trouvez le fichier .icc qui vous a été montré précédemment.
Copiez ce fichier et enregistrez-le sur votre bureau. Ensuite, vous pouvez le joindre à un message ici.

Select "Utiliser mes paramètes..." and see which colour profile is used.
In the specified directory (point 4), search for the .icc file that was displayed before.
Copy this file and save it on your desktop. You can then attach it to a posting here.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

44 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Sélectionnez "Utiliser mes paramètres..." et voyez quel profil de couleur est utilisé.
Dans le répertoire indiqué (point 4), trouvez le fichier .icc qui vous a été montré précédemment.
Copiez ce fichier et enregistrez-le sur votre bureau. Ensuite, vous pouvez le joindre à un message ici.

Select "Utiliser mes paramètes..." and see which colour profile is used.
In the specified directory (point 4), search for the .icc file that was displayed before.
Copy this file and save it on your desktop. You can then attach it to a posting here.

not sure where .icc is but is it the one hightlighted in blue in the picture ? 

icc.PNG

If that is the colour profile, go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color und kopiere die Datei D50.camp

Yes please attach it at your next post here. 

Photo and Designer crash badly with OpenCL enabled here (1.9.2.1035), but Publisher runs fine (!?).

Here are my color profiles:

image.png
image.png

What file do you need?

ROG-mini-22x13.pngASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS CPU: i7-8750H,  RAM: 32GB DDR4@2666,  Gfx: GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, Screen: G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2 17" 1080p 144Hz, HD: SSD + NVMe,  Audio: Realtek HD (ALC295),  Controllers: Hori Fighting Stick Mini, XBox One bt controller, ROG Strix Carry wireless/bt mouse.

8 minutes ago, hexaae said:

Photo and Designer crash badly with OpenCL enabled here (1.9.2.1035), but Publisher runs fine (!?).

Here are my color profiles:

image.png
image.png

What file do you need?

I tried the beta versions and it still doesn't work. I'm trying to make Affinity Photo and Design work in my computer with the latest update. I tried many things but it still doesn't work well. 

9 hours ago, hexaae said:

What file do you need?

You should deaktivate OpenCL.OCL isn't needet for rendering!

And I also advise not to set the renderer to WARP, as this creates an increased CPU load, which also affects the working speed.