You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is this possible with the Pen Tool ?

Hi there,

I’m new to affinity designer/photo, having switched recently from the world of Adobe.  I am working both on Mac desktop and iPad.

When using the pen tool in affinity programs, I’m wondering if there is a quick/easy way of adjusting one of the angles of a curve while leaving the other unchanged ?

Most of the tutorials I’ve found suggest switching to the node tool to do this which does work for making sharp corners, but I find this slows me down quite a bit, especially since to get back to the pen tool I have to hit P all the way on the other side of the keyboard.  Also I’m hoping to keep the path a curve and not a sharp corner.

In adobe programs, holding down Option (on Mac) allows me to do this without having to switch tools and I’m hoping there is a similar key or combination of keys I can press to do this in Affinity programs ?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Silver-Cygnus

Hi @Silver-Cygnus,

On desktop, while using the pen tool, if you hold the Command key you can swap to the node tool so you can change the point handles – if you also hold the option (alt) key you can change just one side to make a sharp corner. Also, try holding the alt key while creating the points to change between sharps and curves as you're drawing. Hope that makes sense.

Not sure what the keys/finger combinations, etc are on the iPad version off the top of my head.

When using the Pen Tool in AD on iPad there’s an ‘Edit Mode’ control on the Context toolbar for switching temporarily to a limited set of Node Tool operations. To convert a regular node to a cusp node, hold down a finger on the screen while dragging on one of the node’s control handles.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the ideas, still not quite what I was hoping for... I was hoping for a quick way to adjust one angle of a curve without turning it into a cusp...  Guess I’ll just have to get used to this slight difference between Adobe and Affinity.  Thanks again !