You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because the file could not be written to (split)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Sorry to say that this issue is still present in 2021. I've been working on a document (on iCloud Drive) and today I got the message that I can't save my file. The program at one point shut down by itself and I feared that all my work had been lost, thankfully I was able to open the file from the Finders-app again and with all my work intact. This issue is really frustrating, there should be a warning or some technical solution on the backend that prevents this from happening, we should be able to work on files from external drives and the cloud without worrying about this. 

It's happening also in Photo 1.9.1.979 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, trying to save to a local disk. It's actually been going on for a few weeks now, intermittently, and has finally gotten to the point that I looked it up and found this thread.

It just happened to me and the solution proposed by previous post worked. There is an image that is the culprit somehow. So I created new a new file and moved my files section by section, doing SAVE after each move. When it get to the problem image I inserted, it failed to save. So I just move everything without that image, and everything can be saved. I also work locally when this happened. Not sure yet why the image created the problem. But removing that part allowed my work to be saved.

Thanks @vivera but it's just happened to me again. The file above was a Publisher file with some images. This one is a Designer file with no images at all.

This never happened to me before the 1.9 update (related?) but now I've lost a total of 5.5 hours work.

This truly sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, still happening.  I am new to Affinity, and it was going great.  Until.   I really don't understand how such a fundamental bug can be allowed to persist.  I am working entirely on my local drive - no shared folders involved.  I can find no explanation, and no fix.

It happened again today, with a new twist: I had to shut down quickly because of bad weather and when I couldn't get my Photo files to save, I tried exporting TIFs with Affinity layers. It seemed to work okay (no error messages) so I shut the pc down. But when I opened the TIFs later they all had only one layer. Doing all my work with one local disk, an SSD.

I don't know enough about SSDs to know if this is relevant, but... I've been using Photo since 2017 and this problem of not being able to save my work has been happening only recently. I don't know exactly when it started but I know it's been since I got an SSD in mid-January. FWIW.

I have just encountered this problem now, three days after starting to work with this app. At the moment I am in trial mode and not sure if there is a future in learning this program, if there is such difficulty saving on the internal Mac system. My first, unfinished Design document was saved on the Desktop and I cannot continue working on it unless it can be saved.

It appears that I may have found a simple solution by happenstance. I opened a new document, trying to transfer one by one the elements to find the faulty one. But as I saved the original as an other file name, the same file under a new name was ready to be saved at every step afterwards. So, saving under a new name may be the answer.

2 hours ago, Ambator said:

It appears that I may have found a simple solution by happenstance. I opened a new document, trying to transfer one by one the elements to find the faulty one. But as I saved the original as an other file name, the same file under a new name was ready to be saved at every step afterwards. So, saving under a new name may be the answer.

That doesn't work for me in Photo.

• 1 month later...