You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Query about iPad storage

I’ve been using affinity designer (which I love!) for about 6 months now and have lots of documents created, however, since the last update, it seems that the app is taking up all of the space on my iPad to the point that I can’t have any other apps on my iPad and when it gets too full, it won’t even save to the cloud, and the iCloud Drive stops working properly.

I have 200gb of space in my iCloud, but it seems to be using my iPad instead?

I really can’t afford to upgrade my iPad, as this was the best I could afford until my business takes off more. I do t even have room to install the beta on test flight!

Any help or ideas would be really awesome other than get a better iPad!

thank you in advance!81403242-497F-45B3-B742-5BAEA7B992F8.thumb.jpeg.0bff941d1a0c8afc3539d5c0200340ca.jpeg41B54A00-9F29-4C6A-931F-891F86263E0A.thumb.jpeg.3fcdaddf0514e903c493618cab9ef364.jpeg

Apologies if this is a silly question, but have you set the default save location (in Preferences) to ‘iCloud Drive’ rather than ‘On My iPad’?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You should not keep your work on the Affinity Home Screen, if you do vast quantities of space will be used up internally in the app for file history and snapshots.

You should give the projects you want to keep a name and save them to an iCloud folder, then most importantly you must CLOSE them to remove them from the apps internal storage. Projects you don't need to keep should be also closed to delete them.

Once they are in the iCloud folder AND you have optimise files turned on in the iPad settings your files will offload from your iPad to save space.

You may have projects stored in the On My iPad folder for Affinity Folder, if you need to keep them move them to your iCloud Affinity folder as they will be automatically deleted by iPadOS if you delete the app.

After making sure all your work is stored in an iCloud folder you *may* have to delete the App to free up all the space and then re-install, I had to do that recently, likely because of a bug in an earlier version of the app. Offloading the app will not delete the documents data but deleting the app will so make sure you have all your assets, brushes etc saved in an iCloud folder as well.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this is a very delicate problem that really needs attention.
I use affinity a lot on ipad, to work and produce tutorials. in my 64 gb iPad

it's already my 12th time -
saving all the projects on icloud, where it could be settled on dropbox as Default Save Location as well to share files with my Students. 
Then closing all the files,
deleting the app, re-installing all the brushes / assets / etc..

I quite understand that the File document created into the temporary Home screen can take space
But...
Even After closed the files on the homescreen, somehow it's still taking the whole space. as shown on the 1st Attached image.

it's  kind of pain. 
is it possible, to add a Button to Clean the Affinity cache? without Reinstalling the app and all the assets? I see that we do have option to reset some resources, but not nothing that could Clean the Storage taken by Affinity Designer

And I see that on Procreate settings, there is option to save on Dropbox as shown on the Images 2, 3 attached,
Which is really great for those that like to use alternative Storages instead of iCloud.

IMG_FE3DD261A2E4-1.thumb.jpeg.11597169c1b543513d7f09666878c817.jpeg

IMG_7E4BF3332197-1.jpeg

IMG_989E132C8497-1.jpeg

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva