You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Uralmoto. Russian motorbike brand.

tom d

UralstudioA5.thumb.jpeg.5a6c1a2f1ff46d727a674307c980bff8.jpeg

What fun. I did a vector Uralmoto. The text was a direct translation using google translate, and it's is not a bit addy, which suits the brand well. Unsophisticated and proud of not being a Harley Davidson.
Playing with the type (Franklin Gothic) in the layout somehow worked for me.

I'd never have got away with it in art school. But my work my rules.

9 hours ago, Slammer said:

Considering it´s actually a 1:1 copy of the BMW R71 Wehrmachtskraftrad from 1938 it is an astonishingly long lived bike. I almost got myself one a few years back, sadly the deal fell through.

Slammer, you know history.

BMW set up a factory in Russia before the war while the non-aggression pact between Germany and U.S.S.R still held. It is still the same war-time engine in the Uralmoto. I imagine the BMW has advanced more since then, but it's essentially the same design that polish civilians were glad to see leave. Fortunately, they have a reverse gear.

Did you consider getting the side-car with it?

Amendments.

I gave this another go. Just to tighten up some of the more clumsy bits.
The cylinder cooling fins are tighter. In adobe illustrator, the blend tool would build a sequence of stages from the first shape to the final shape. Affinity doesn't have that tool, but the workaround I used was command J and the handy facility to align and distribute selected nodes, which was new to me.

Where the exhaust pipe meets the cylinder is improved by dampening down the 'inner shadow' FX in that specific place.

The extra shading on the fuel tank works better with the black edge of the headlight assembly.

And there's a little more subtle detail in the dark area below the headlight and where the indicator lights are attached.

I learned that raising the noise helped the engine appear less reflective than the chrome. I have never used the noise option before.

The headlamp is a cheat. It's from a photo, but it did need a few adjustments and mesh warp in af photo, but everything else (apart from the fuel tank logotype) are vector with plenty of fx adjustments.

Uralstudio15.jpeg