You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to start setup. Please contact Technical Support.

So I really want to get into graphics design, And I really wanna purchase affinity. Decided to download and install the Trial only to be stopped by an error "fail to start setup. please contact technical support". I've been digging through all these different threads with fixes but nothing seems to work. 
1. Updated all drivers, windows and graphics drivers. 
2. Tried changing the color profiles.
3. Restarted several times.
4. Tried installing older versions
5. Virus and malware scans 

My brother tried downloading the software a few days before me and it worked without issue.
For some reason I don't have the SetupUI.log files. they just don't generate. Im hoping someone could help me asap. below is the only file in the file location. 

Really looking forward to using this program. 

affinity folder screenshot .png

Setup.log

Try clearing temp files.

Could also be a bad download so either get your brother to bring over the installer he used or try downloading again.

Ps always helps to mention the Operating System and the app.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Try clearing temp files.

Could also be a bad download so either get your brother to bring over the installer he used or try downloading again.

Ps always helps to mention the Operating System and the app.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've tried redownloading several times, I will try my brothers download and see if that makes a difference tho. As for the temp files, do you mean like just clearing ALL the temp files in that location or in the "C:\windows\temp"?

5 minutes ago, JoeSire said:

do you mean like just clearing ALL the temp files in that location or in the "C:\windows\temp"?

Both

You might also want to compare your brothers system and Operating System version with yours, apps such as Speccy might help here.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Both

You might also want to compare your brothers system and Operating System version with yours, apps such as Speccy might help here.

Okay so i've done both of these ( cleared temp files, and used the installer from my bro's PC), and I built both PCs from scratch and they are almost identical. only difference is My PC has a GTX 1070 and the other has a GTX 750 ti. So yea, im at a loss again as to what could be causing this issue. Might need to do a OS reinstall or something, sigh. 

Edited by JoeSire
clarification on "both"

Just did a forum search with GTX 1070 and got this: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=GTX 1070

On 3/29/2021 at 1:52 AM, firstdefence said:

Just did a forum search with GTX 1070 and got this: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=GTX 1070

All these issues happen after the install. I am not even reaching that far. some of the fixes i've read through her require you to make changes in the program settings, which I have no access too. 

Makes me wonder if there isn't a file that is required for install to function, maybe a mod could ask the devs @MEB @Dan C

Probably a long shot but do you both have the same antivirus and have you tried installing with it disabled or at least adding the installer to an exclusion list. I've known AV to interfere with app installs.

• Staff

Hi @JoeSire,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble installing the Affinity app!

I don't believe this is necessarily GPU related, although I will ask our developers to double check this - unfortunately the only time I have seen the SetupUI.log file failed to be created is due to permissions.

Firstly, can you please try right-clicking on the downloaded .EXE and select Run as Administrator. Does this allow the install process to succeed?

Secondly, it may be an issue with your Windows user account, or a third party application (such as AV antivirus mentioned above) could be affecting the installation. Could you please try creating a new user account on your computer, and seeing if the Affinity application can be successfully installed there?

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Edit - Apologies JoeSire I have just recalled I have already asked you to try step 1 in a separate thread. Please do let me know if a new user account allows the installation to succeed!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

14 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @JoeSire,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble installing the Affinity app!

I don't believe this is necessarily GPU related, although I will ask our developers to double check this - unfortunately the only time I have seen the SetupUI.log file failed to be created is due to permissions.

Firstly, can you please try right-clicking on the downloaded .EXE and select Run as Administrator. Does this allow the install process to succeed?

Secondly, it may be an issue with your Windows user account, or a third party application (such as AV antivirus mentioned above) could be affecting the installation. Could you please try creating a new user account on your computer, and seeing if the Affinity application can be successfully installed there?

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Edit - Apologies JoeSire I have just recalled I have already asked you to try step 1 in a separate thread. Please do let me know if a new user account allows the installation to succeed!

You absolute unit if a human! It was the permissions. I am the only person who uses my PC there for it only has 1 account and it is an administrator, so I never thought that it would be permissions. Turns out my Temp file for some dumb reason didn't have my account set as the administrator... No idea what that was about, kinda sketchy if you ask me lol. But the install is going through as I type this!

For future reference:

I went to

>"C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local"

> Right clicked on the temp folder,

> Click Properties, 

> Go to security tab,

> Click Edit, click Add, Advanced...,

> Find now, Search for your account name.

> Click okay

*******Problem solved. *********

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm certainly glad to hear you're now able to install the Affinity app.

Many thanks for the further information provided also - I will certainly bare this is mind should I see a similar issue with other customers :)

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!