You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Graphics card to support enhancement acceleration

I’m not sure what video card is need to support enhancement acceleration which is a new feature in 1.9 AF P upgrade. Dell computers have suggested a NVIDIA(R) GeForce  RTX(TM) 2060, 6 GB GDDR6 GPU for my new computer.

I’m not very technically savvy and my question is, whether this GPU is appropriate or is it overspecified. I don’t want to rely solely on Dell sales staff for advice. As some of you may have been down this road ahead me, I would appreciate any tips you might offer me.

Thanks in advance 

William

Hi William,

currently there is no good answer to your questions, as GPU support in 1.9.979 still needs some polishing  and the default recommendation in case of any issue is to deactivate OpenCL in Photo. This might change soon - or later.

It will depend on your workflow and images if you will benefit from a faster GPU. The speedup for some operations can be very high, 20 times or more. This could make the difference between exiting or annoying. Again, currently you are often required to disable GPU usage to get stable operations or avoid rendering errors. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks for your candid response. I need to change my computer shortly as my 15 processor, 8 GB's ram and  NVIDIA GT525M video is struggling  badly processing some of my edits.

What kind of processing times are you encountering with your setup? (I see it listed under your name). Or what would change if you were buying a new computer today?

I would appreciate any tips you could offer me.