You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best practice for pages having repeated patterns of styling

Sorry for the crummy title, I don't know the right words yet.  The attached image will make it clear.  The recipe has a title, a centered ingredient list, and then instructions.  Now I know I could create these three sections, and them plop them individually on every page. But I bet there's a better way that involves grouping them.  First, what are these 3 parts called? Sections? Doodads?  2nd, can I group them into a sequential "style"?

It only right now occurs to me I could make a new master document for these pages...  But some pages have two or even three recipes on them. Hmmm.

What's the best practice, and some words for me to search on?

image.png.cd9daf72ba199c29dab2ff6c8829c1f4.png

Edited by Tony Ennis
1) grammar is hard 2) words are hard

I’ve attached a short video (and document) which should show you some basic uses of Styles.
I’m not saying that it’s “best practice” but it’s a reasonable start.
Note: The ingredients are all one paragraph with each line separated by a line break. (And the CAPS LOCK thing on the video was my clumsy typing.)

styles-for-recipes.afpub

I so wish there was automation possible, like sequential or successive styles for imported ext. This automation above works only when you type stuff (I think). For imported text you have to click style for each section. At least it is possible to automate the jump to next page with flow/keep options.

You could save the formatted text frame as an asset that can be dragged out and edited per recipe. I added a pic for a bit of flair after I'd dragged out the text frame lol!

image.png.d2fd6eaad517cde6073b8b970a0c7b42.png

You can group the text frame and image to create a simple repeatable format with image.

image.png.c0dc1eac16b94299f290caf73fdbc060.png

Dex Formatted text frames.afassets

https://foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/spicy-cajun-chicken-quinoa/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi

I personally would have created the required styles for each text/image section in the first instance and assign variable type names to a basic template layout. Combining data integration is ideal for this kind of layout. Have a look at Emily's video on this here

For an asset template I would simplify the process as much as possible using variable naming rather than actual content; something like varMenuHeader; varIngredients_01 or just varIngredients if you want to combine as one!; varContent or varInformation_01

Set the styles up with same naming convention then you know what formatting has been applied to each area. 
Same structure can be applied to images.
Using assets for layout is great but if you have lots of repeated content I would consider using data tables

Confusing I know....but hope it helps!:)

There is also the option of importing template/layout files directly into an image space...This includes Designer files (I tried this recently with some templates for web thumbnails!). Data image link includes designer file reference:  like this

1,SourceFiles\Thumbnail_organicPatterns.afdesign,Organic Pattern Texture Brushes,,Organic Pattern 01-06,6 Sets of texture Pattern Brushes ,with 30 brushes in each set

2,SourceFiles\Thumbnail_inkPainterBrushes.afdesign,InkPainter Brushes,,InkPainter 01-09,Sketch | Ink | Linear | Grunge | Mesh | Paint | Pattern | Shade | Texture,30 Brushes in each set

So the imported file becomes the asset!

You could also create files separately, each with a design variance and import as embedded/linked files

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 minute ago, Tony Ennis said:

@StuartRc That looks like what I need. But wow that video is dense and will take some time to digest.

Yeah! it can get quite complicated :)..but it is a simple repeated process
Variable data/merge is really useful for these types of templates. Really you just need a CSV file or spreadsheet file. Test with one layout then repeat.

It is at basic level:
Process
layout | Styles {varName}, CSV{varName}) for headers line 1 then a comma separated list for your content
Apply variable names to you styles (visible by name!) so that they are the same! (and you know what it will look like) use this to apply a style to text content (which could also be just the variable name with any content!)
Import Data File using Data Merge Manager (variableName for headers!)
Apply content using data field name with Field Name Panel (Save your created template)
Test with Data Merge Manager (xxxx records)
Generate result using Data Merge Manager (get new file) save file!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1