You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is Best Font Substitute for Helvetica

1 hour ago, Andy05 said:

Maybe that's what make it easier for a person with dyslexia to recognise bottom and top of a letter.

Do you have an idea what's going on in the mind then? – I'd expected  the top would need to be designed more obvious since the shape of the upper half of some glyphs appear to be a lot more relevant to identify them. (vice versa it seems at its top only  u  is ambiguous)

248994651_charachtertopvsbottomhalf2.jpg.cb64a59eda21c6f024af7b7858b38b6f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

34 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I'd expected  the top would need to be designed more obvious

I’m not sure it’s really to make one half more obvious. I think the idea is to “weigh down” the bottom half so that the characters are less likely to be flipped vertically in the mind of the dyslexic reader.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

From the OpenDyslexic website:

Letters have heavy weighted bottoms to indicate direction. You are able to quickly figure out which part of the letter is down which aids in recognizing the correct letter, and sometimes helps to keep your brain from rotating them around. Consistently weighted bottoms can also help reinforce the line of text. The unique shapes of each letter can help prevent confusion through flipping and swapping.

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but what does this all have to do with Helvetica???

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but what does this all have to do with Helvetica???

Exellent question, even because the thread-starter seems to have left the discussion long time ago. It's not clear to me what he expected as an answer. Was he searching for the most similar font to Helvetica? I think that would have been a Helvetica-Mod, Swiss or Arial. Or was he only searching for a nice grotesque? In this case it would be interesting for what usage he wants it: f.e. print or screen?

^ That reminds me, I actually quite like "Coolvetica".
On Mac, it used to be kinda hidden, available only if you'd install iMovie:
/Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/Frameworks/Flexo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Fonts/Coolvetica.ttf
Don't know if it's now preinstalled generally on Big Sur.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

By the way, it would take me about 15 minutes to bike to the location where Helvetica was born back in the 1950s. But the foundry closed down about 10 years before I moved to this area.

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

what does this all have to do with Helvetica???

Still waiting for answer to @Alfred's initial question. – "While we wait, we think".

Some entertaining inside views into the life of Helvetica et al.: "Just My Type" by Simon Garfield.

152633563_JustMyTypebyGarfieldSimon1.jpg.feb076849f0c743ad0db9eaa3e5df3e2.jpg

879579153_JustMyTypebyGarfieldSimon2.jpg.741f4ddfa8ffdd05fda4087136ec9be7.jpg     1995186975_JustMyTypebyGarfieldSimon3.jpg.8352569078207a10d195f91675aa68d5.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, Alfred said:

What is the (potential) problem with Helvetica that has prompted you to look for a substitute?

I have had problems converting Affinity Publisher files to PDF (even with fonts embedded) in particular with some lower case letters "a" for example.

23 minutes ago, ABHULtheELF said:

I have had problems converting Affinity Publisher files to PDF (even with fonts embedded) in particular with some lower case letters "a" for example.

Seems a bit odd.
Which specific version of Helvetica fonts?
Can you provide the APub doc for testing?