You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artwork for greetings cards

William Overington

6 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

See how simple that is? Just four glyphs in different order:

知 ( = know) 者 ( = person) 不 ( = not) 言 ( = word)

Those who know, do not say. Those who say, do not know.

Very simple, but Google Translate messes up really badly:

知者不言,言者不知

So much for the above version being verified by contributors!

Other machine translators fare much better. This link reveals what Bing Microsoft Translator makes of it:

知者不言,言者不知

This takes you to the Yandex Translate version:

知者不言,言者不知

And this is from DeepL:

知者不言,言者不知

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

And that’s exactly why it is superior to his idea. He can only cover a few hundred sentences that are not even that common and that are in the language (English) that is so hard to translate to other languages ...

Well, it could be more than a few hundred, but there would be a limit to practical implementation, a balance between having more capability with more sentences yet more sentences requiring more computation. So what number would be practical is a matter to consider.

Yet please consider, for example, automated telephone banking, as implemented at present. Quite a lot can be done with a relatively small number of sentences that can be expressed by the automated system that uses prerecorded messages. Yet not everything can be done, so the automated system has a way to go through to a human advisor. However, quite a lot can be achieved using automated telephone banking using a relatively small number of sentences. There is no case for not having telephone banking because, for example, it cannot discuss what is on television this evening with the customer.

10 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

... the language (English) that is so hard to translate to other languages due to its idiomatic nature (I have never understood why in English you often have to say the opposite of what you mean, or worse something that has nothing to do with what you are trying to say, such as saying an idea is cool as if it was some kind of temperature, or to call something good bad, etc).

There are some idioms in English, but the examples that you quote are just what is known as slang. I don't say things are 'cool' or 'bad' in that manner. Some people do, many do not. It is certainly not the language of serious discussion and professional writing.

Yet a significant feature of the localizable sentences invention is that the end user does need to know any language other than his or her native language. English might well be used in an International Standard to set up the system, but that is because International Standards are in English.

The following slide show will hopefully be helpful. It can be viewed from the web, but is best when downloaded then run within Adobe Reader as it then runs full screen, where one presses the Enter key to move to the next slide and the Esc to leave.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/slide_show_about_localizable_sentences.pdf

Here is a link to an earlier document, from 10th January 2012.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/locse027_four_simulations.pdf

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

9 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

See how simple that is? Just four glyphs in different order:

知 ( = know) 者 ( = person) 不 ( = not) 言 ( = word)

Those who know, do not say. Those who say, do not know.

I do not understand how that text relates to this discussion.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

Then let’s drop it. 👴

Well, if you so choose. I had hoped that we could have a good discussion.

The problem that I have had over many years is that various people in various forums have dismissed the idea then when I ask for reasons and discussion they either do not reply, refuse, or try to rely on their reputation.

I am a researcher and if I have got it wrong then I will change direction, but I will not change direction simply because someone says so without presenting and defending an academic position that demonstrates his or her position as correct and the position is resilient to scrutiny.

William

Thank you for replying.

18 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

I am retired.

Are you bragging or complaining? I too am retired. No more having to get up to go to work or seeking work. Great. Alas I wish I had had this freedom when I was young and more active.

I do not come here to assist people I have never met with their research projects.

As you wish, but you did write and comment on my ideas and I was enjoying the discussion.

I only come here for Affinity products.

Well, that's fine. Some people like a chat about what people are doing with Affinity products and some do not. Freedom of choice.

For example, have you noticed they released 1.10.1 of their software today?

Actually I was not aware of that.

William

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Sorry for what the laughter emoji may mean to you. I used it because I've experienced certain frustrations with William's blogging on forums for quite some time. 

In short, I used it as a "misery loves company" sort of way. 

So what frustrations?

I have always found you as being helpful.

William

• 3 months later...

As a result of producing what are advertised as photo greetings cards yet i am producing using original non-photographic artwork, sending to myself and then framing them for my personal collection and enjoyment, I have, when trying out ideas in Affinity Designer, been making the artwork of a size and at 300 dots per inch such that if I were to decide to order such a card of the artwork, that the artwork is already the correct size needed for the card. I then produce a jpg file at top quality to upload to the Papier website in order to order the card.

An interestimng aspect is that the Papier website needs a CMYK file in order to print the card. However, I did accidentally send an RGB jpg file and it printed well and making a CMYK file in Affinity Designer made some of the colours duller, so I have continued to send RGB jpg files and they work well. As Papier offers printing of photo cards made direct from photos gathered from a mobile phone with no processing by the end user, as those are sometime RBG jpg files, I expect that the Papier system has a way of checking and converying built in. I wonder if the printing facility that Papier uses more than four colours of inks when printing the images as I have been impressed by the colourfulness of the results.  

I use a size in pixels of 2171 pixels by 1571 pixels, being, at 300 dots per inch  7 inches by 5 inches with 3 millimetres of bleed area on each edge built into the artwork.

If I post images in this forum I make a png image at one third size both horizontally and vertically, which is 724 pixels by 524 pixels. In earlir posts, including some in this thread, I used 500 pixels for the shorter edge but I have changed that as, thinking about it, making it exactly one third seemed a better approach. 

I have used that way of working in the following thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/154208-artwork-inspired-by-pantone-colour-of-the-year-2022/

William

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to some more artwork. When I try generating new artwork I tend to make the artwork such that if I choose to get a hardcopy print made, as if a customized greetings card, then the artwork is already the correct size and aspoect ratio needed for producing a jpg file in order to have such a card produced.

Previously all of the greetings cards from my artwork that have been discussed in this thread have been rectangular, 7 inches by 5 inches, either portrait or landscape.

Some of the images in the following thread are for a customized greetings card 5 and a quarter inches square.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/155334-art-inspired-by-the-art-of-sophie-taeuber-arp/

All of the artwork, portrait, landscape, square, has a 3 millimetre bleed area added to each edge.

Illustrations in threads in this forum are often, in the more recent posts, at a scale of obne third, both horizontally and vertically.

William

53 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Previously all of the greetings cards from my artwork that have been discussed in this thread have been rectangular

53 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Some of the images in the following thread are for a customized greetings card 5 and a quarter inches square.

Those are still rectangular, they’re just not oblong. ;)

By the way, maybe it’s only me but “5 and a quarter” looks rather odd. I would either write 5¼ or spell out the five.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Is that the moon as we’ve never seen it before, or a zoomed-in view of something peering at us from the murky depths of somewhere or other? :/

I happened to look out of an upstairs window yesterday evening and saw the moon. As I looked at it, I thought that such a gibbous moon could be expressed using the Affinity Designer Segment Tool, so I noted the angle, realized that the moon was being lit by the sun, the sun being below the horizon, so I thought that I would try to produce a card design that expressed in a graphic art format the view that I had observed.

William

27 minutes ago, William Overington said:

As I looked at it, I thought that such a gibbous moon could be expressed using the Affinity Designer Segment Tool

I said “as we’ve never seen it before” because I wouldn’t expect the edge of the part that’s in shadow to be a straight line. Did you consider using the Crescent Tool instead of the Segment Tool?

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I said “as we’ve never seen it before” because I wouldn’t expect the edge of the part that’s in shadow to be a straight line.

Oh.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Did you consider using the Crescent Tool instead of the Segment Tool?

Actually no.

I had in fact used the segment tool when I was trying to produce an earlier version of the Summer Time picture when I was trying to find out if I could produce a limaçon straighforwardly.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/155334-art-inspired-by-the-art-of-sophie-taeuber-arp/&do=findComment&comment=876457

In the event I could not produce a limaçon but I produced what is probably a better result by transforming a copy of the graphism that I had produced earlier usimg the Circle Tool and the Segment Tool.

I wonder how straightforward or difficult it would be for Affinity Designer to have a Limaçon Tool with an adjustment from -100% to +100% with 0% giving a cardiod. That would be rather distinctive.

William

If I, er, possibly 😀, want to convert a copy of my graphic that uses the Segment Tool to become using the Crescent Tool, is there a way to do that such that at least some of the position, size, position, rotation, are conserved, rater than having to delete what is there and start again?

William

58 minutes ago, William Overington said:

find out if I could produce a limaçon straighforwardly.

If you’re willing to do some math to find a number of points on your limaçon, then you could just draw a series of smoothly connected curve segments that would look like a limaçon to us. Perhaps this video can get you started:

42 minutes ago, William Overington said:

If I, er, possibly 😀, want to convert a copy of my graphic that uses the Segment Tool to become using the Crescent Tool, is there a way to do that such that at least some of the position, size, position, rotation, are conserved, rater than having to delete what is there and start again?

Affinity Designer unfortunately lacks the equivalent of the nice feature in DrawPlus that allows you to replace a QuickShape with any other QuickShape simply by selecting the new one from a dropdown list on the Context toolbar. You might achieve a reasonable result by drawing a circle, positioning it on top of the ‘segment’ shape while using the straight edge of that shape as an alignment guide, turning the segment into a circle and then intersecting the two shapes.

Alfred spacer.png