You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeated crashing converting HEIC to JPG

Kryten

I have quite a few HEIC files to convert to JPGs. AFPhoto (1.9.1) has done around 100 or so but now crashes repeatedly and won't open any. The same for AFDesigner and AFPublisher. I'm running OS 10.11.6 so I realise that's an older OS but I don't understand why it worked for a while and now doesn't. Is this a bug or have I missed something? Depending what Finder folder view I select they show either SFPhoto icon or Mac EXEC icon. Not sure if that is significant. Any suggestions very welcome.

• Staff

Hi Kryten,
Right-click the heir file in Finder and select Get Info. In the Open with section in that panel check if it's set to Apple Preview. If not change it to Apple Preview and then press the Change All button below to apply the changes to all HEIC files. Can you confirm you are you using a Batch Job to perform the conversion? Can you attach the crash report please? Thank you.

Thanks MEB for your reply. It seems to have been 2 or 3 rogue HEIC files causing this. All the other files AFPhoto has converted successfully. I did try your Get Info suggestion and Preview will not open any of them however, just grayed out see attached PNG. I wasn't using the batch job function, I'm new to AFPhoto and couldn't find the option to use that. I'm trying to find the rogue files to replicate this problem. Thanks for the reply.

1894169906_ScreenShot2021-03-26at15_34_03.png.c39fd182154f01e0eb3cbe3e325d99b5.png

I am however getting this response trying to open an HEIC file now.

740803734_ScreenShot2021-03-26at15_42_32.png.8c751aab447482b97bd87d80213a33c9.png

Edited by Kryten
Addition

• Staff

Thanks for the file. I'm seeing the same issue here (same error message - file not supported). Apple Preview, Apple Photos and Photoshop can't also read them - throw an error or do nothing. From where does those HEIC images come from - are you using a Phone to take them (which one)?

They are from an iPhone and I can't find out which model / iOS and I can't contact him till later. When I find out I'll post it. Initially the Batch option worked, then bombed halfway through now crashes everytime.

(EDIT) : iPhone 7 on iOS 12.5.x

Edited by Kryten
Update

As far as I know, but will confirm later, Yes he can see them on the phone (not sure yet about PC viewing), and they were given to me on a USB drive, yes all transferred the same way. Will confirm everything later. Since I started the conversion, I have managed to do roughly 200-250 but now AFP crashes immediately.

EDIT : As an update MEB, I have managed to convert them all with only two or three corrupt files showing up using the app iMobie HEIC Converter which seems to work flawlessly, so not sure why AFP was having a problem. Thank you for your support throughout.

Edited by Kryten
Update

• 1 year later...

hello, I am new to all of this as well. I have moved all my photos (thousands) from my iphone to my pc.  I now have to convert them as they are heic files.

I downloaded imazing and it keeps crashing after converting about 3-6 files.  Please help.  I tried to follow some advise above but didn't understand it.

I have gotten a crash alert but it couldn't even (taking forever and not producing) an actual report.  Now it just  stops working and I get a message from my computer saying "Imazing converter has stopped working. A problem cause the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

@Karly

Only the developer of imazing converter will be able to answer your question.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!