You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting jpgs randomly creating random horizontal white lines in about 1/3 cases

In the last day, for the first time after months and months of exporting hundreds of photos in this program, this issue has come up. It has so far appeared in the only settings I have been using for exports in the last day: jpg photo exports, 768 x (maintain aspect ratio), 80 percent quality, uncheck embed icc profile, uncheck embed metadata. Every other setting is at default. As you can see, the white lines appear in the exported photos. The white lines are not in the originals or in the file when open in Affinity Photo. This is happening so often now with these settings that it seems to randomly be about 1/3 photos. I have used the same settings for many of my previous photos as well without this issue.

Even more strange, when I attempt to upload the photos with the white lines here, Affinity shows an error popup that says "-200" an d a browser console inspection reveals "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()". These files are simple jpgs and they upload to my website ore anywhere else just fine. I disabled my adblocker and no other extensions could possibly cause this. So, unfortunately, I had to upload a screenshot of one of the pictures to work around this garbage.

I just bought this computer recently. It has 16GB ram, and an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz   1.19 GHz processor with integrated graphics. I tried only having a few photos open at a time in Affinity to make sure it was not a processing overload sort of issue. The problem still happens.

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @Tanman,
Go to menu Edit > Preferences, Performance section and untick OpenCL compute acceleration until we fix this issue. Alternatively you can download the most recent Beta and check if it already fixes this issues for you with OpenCL compute acceleration enabled.

Done. thank you! What does this setting do? And do you know the issue I am talking about or is this a guess at a fix?

• Staff

Hi Tanman,
That setting allows the app to use the graphic card to speed up calculations/process the images quicker as you work on them. It was introduced in v1.9 but due to the various possible PC configs on Windows a few graphic cards/drivers/configs do still have issues like the corruptions you are seeing on export. These issues are being fixed as we speak. The nest Beta should include a couple more.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi Tanman,
That setting allows the app to use the graphic card to speed up calculations/process the images quicker as you work on them. It was introduced in v1.9 but due to the various possible PC configs on Windows a few graphic cards/drivers/configs do still have issues like the corruptions you are seeing on export. These issues are being fixed as we speak. The nest Beta should include a couple more.

Oh wow, thank you for the explanation; that makes sense. So can I turn this feature back on after you update that and issue an Affinity update or should I always just leave it off?

• 5 months later...

So I am once again having the very same issue. I had previously gone back in and re-ticked that check box once the update came out that you had mentioned. I had not noticed any issues for a while until today when one of my photos reproduced those random white horizontal lines every time I exported its .jpg until I unchecked that box once again.  The issue then stopped. Just thought that I would let you know that that previous update apparently did not fix the problem or perhaps subsequent updates over-wrote that fix at some point.