You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I export my existing settings before downloading and then how to add them to the new Beta?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

My working space (pallet layout), preferences and styles.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I still haven't downloaded the newest Beta because I'm still waiting for someone to assist me in saving my settings before installing the new Beta.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jackamus.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you!

It is not possible to save the workspace unfortunately, you can only make a back up of what is held in the Application Support folder. I have provided the path below.

/Users/***/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta/Data/Library/Application Support/

Replace the files that you will find in that location with what will be shown after installing the latest beta.

Jack

Thanks Jack - am I talking to myself? :D I'll give it a go.

Is it worth suggesting a way of saving the workspace in the Features request list?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Will do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Are you saying that is will never be a part of AD whilst there is a beta version?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

It is not possible to save the workspace unfortunately, you can only make a back up of what is held in the Application Support folder. I have provided the path below.

/Users/***/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta/Data/Library/Application Support/

What should be in front of /Users?

If I go from Mac HD/Users/Shared/Library/ the next folder is Application Support followed bu Adobe!

I can't find /Containers etc.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jack, (Can be a bit tricky when someone greets you on a plane like that!)

OK but I'm still not clear. You do not say which folders I need to copy. I'm not a computer geek and I need o be spoon fed this kind information.

There is a folder called 'Users' which seem to have some files that would appear to be the ones I want to save. Can you conform this please?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hey Jack,

if I may chime in here … the “other Jack” ;) seems to suggest the following:

• Go to Mac HD / Users / *your_username* / Library / Containers, where *your_username* indicates your personal home folder. This home folder is usually named “Jack” or the like.
  • Move the folder com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta that you will find within the mentioned Containers folder to the desktop.
  • Install the new Beta of Affinity Designer, run it and close the application.
  • Now you will find a new folder named com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta within the mentioned Containers folder. This one was created by the new Beta.
  • So you have two folders named com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta, the first one on your desktop (A.), and the second, new one in the Containers folder (B.). I am inclined to believe that you can just replace folder (B.) by folder (A.). But I am not sure about side effects, and Jack suggests the following:
  • Replace the contents of (B.) / Data / Library / Application Support / by the contents of (A.) / Data / Library / Application Support /, where (B.) is the folder named com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta within your Containers folder (that was created by the new Beta), and (A.) is the folder named com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta on your desktop.

Does that help?

Cheers, Alex  :)

EDIT A more concise way is shown below.

Hi Alex,

I think I have totally screwed-up this procedure!

The actual path on my computer is:

Desktop>Go+alt>Library>Containers>com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta

Having located com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta I thought I moved it to the desktop but I only moved a copy.

I Then downloaded the new Beta version and pasted in 'Containers' the old folder. This did not show up as a folder but an additional file with the same name. By this time I'm totally confused and lost my original settings.

If I do, as was suggested by someone else, Mac HD>users>Jack>Library>Application support, then the next folder is Adobe! Clearly this is wrong!

Can you explain exactly how to replace one folder by another ready for next time there is an update?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jack,

please be aware that there are different folders named Application support on your hard drive (file system). Let’s make things as clear as possible.

• The folder of interest is Mac HD / Users / Jack / Library / Containers / com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta.

You can locate this folder either directly or by the method you outlined in your last post, i.e. by

• Alt-clicking on the Finder menu item Go …,
  • choosing Library, and
  • finding Containers within Library and then com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta within Containers.

Now I assume you have been able to copy or move com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta to the desktop. Further I assume that you were able to install and run the latest beta of Designer, and copied or moved com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta from the desktop back to Containers. If all these assumptions are correct, could you please tell me which folders whose names start with com.seriflabs can be found in your Containers folder at the moment?

Cheers, Alex  :)

Hi Alex,

When I copied the com.serif .... folder to Containers it appeared under the new Beta com.serif... folder but not as a folder. It had a different icon - more like a document icon.

I couldn't figure out a way to exchange the two com.serif... folders.

I have two com.serif... folders on my desktop but I cannot tell if they are the same or different. Maybe one of them has my settings! See my screen shot.

What I now need are detailed instructions on how to do it next time as I have reset my studio appearance for this time and the only personlised Styles I lost were three different dotted lines which I can easily redo.

post-608-0-90300100-1445004742_thumb.png

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Okay, I see …  :)

Unfortunately it seems that the folder on your desktop is empty. So you might not be able to recover your settings. But here are the instructions the “other Jack” suggested for the next time:

1. Go to Macintosh HD / Users / Jack / Library / Containers / com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta / Data / Library / Application Support. Make sure you follow the correct path.

2. Before installing the new Beta (or resetting the Beta) of Affinity Designer, simply Option (Alt) + drag the folder named “Application Support” from the indicated position to the desktop. Make sure that the folder and all its contents are indeed copied to the desktop.

3. Now install the new Beta of Affinity Designer, open the application and close it again.

4. The mentioned “Application Support” folder is now updated, and your settings are (most likely) lost. But you still have the copy of the older “Application Support” folder with your settings on the desktop.

5. Now for the crucial step. Option (Alt) + drag the “Application Support” folder, which is on your desktop, onto the icon of the “Library” folder, which is found at Macintosh HD / Users / Jack / Library / Containers / com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta / Data / Library.

6. The Finder will ask you if you want to replace the newer files by the older ones. Click Replace and you are done.

Sorry for the edits of my post. I feel this is the simpler explanation.  :)

Cheers, Alex

post-1198-0-61049900-1445009912_thumb.png

Hi Alex,

It's amazing really, I feel I can do some really great illustrations with AD but when it comes to geeky things I'm not very good.

I have just realised that I also have the Apple shop AD and that will have the same settings as I had in the Beta version. However I will not tempt fate unnecessarily and have another attempt as I already have re-created the lost styles.

I will make sure I keep your instructions for next time. Thanks.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Alex,I am trying to follow your instructions for saving my settings for the new Beta download

1 If I use your instructions for finding the 'Library' it takes me to the wrong library. I need to use Desktop>Go+alt>Library and then follow your instructions.

2 I dragged the 'Apps support' folder from the old Beta to the Desktop.

3 I then overwrote the old Beta with the new Beta - was this a mistake?

4 I don't know how to alt+drag from the old 'Apps support' folder from its new location on the desktop to the location in the new downloaded Beta which means navigating to a different directory. Therefore I just did a 'Copy' of it and pasted it into the 'Apps support' of the new Beta. When I then opened the new Beta the setting were the default settings and not my own.

5 Is there a way to check the difference between the two folders just in case I find I have two of them floating around?

6 I still have AD with my settings also if it helps.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jack,

an image tells more than a thousand words … ;)

I illustrated the folder structure of your hard disk below, Jack. When you use the method outlined in (1.) of your last post, you will be taken to Library (A.). Now, what you need to do, is to follow the folder hierarchy below to Application Support (B.). As you said, you found this folder Application Support (B.) and copied it to the desktop.

Now, when you overwrite the old beta with the new one (which is perfectly fine) and you run the new beta for the first time (which is important), everything enclosed within the red dotted line on my illustration will usually be replaced (not always, but usually). The only thing you have to do, is the following: Replace the Application Support folder at (B.), that was created by the new beta, with the Application Support (B.) folder that’s on your desktop. To do so, simply drag the latter one onto the folder icon indicated by my arrow. (Unfortunately, you must indeed open a new Finder window, navigate to the Library folder my arrow points to, and alt + drag Application Support (B.) from the desktop onto the icon of that Library folder.) (*)

Therefore I just did a 'Copy' of it and pasted it into the 'Apps support' of the new Beta. When I then opened the new Beta the setting were the default settings and not my own.

That was wrong, sorry. You must replace the Application support folder and not put a copy inside it, as you did. But there’s nothing lost, just follow the procedure outlined here (*).

Hope that helps …  :)

Cheers, Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks. I'll have another go.

BTW Have you ever met anyone, who uses a computer every day, be so computer illiterate?

I take comfort from knowing that I can drive a car and know how it works but I wouldn't know how to fix or adjust it!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0