You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Friends 👋 

I have to deal with many glyphs and despite format sets I very often have to pick out individual glyphs or alternative glyph variants. When doing so, a few things are bugging me anew every time. 

1. Jump directly to the selected glyph
Is it possible to directly highlight the selected glyph in the text field in the glyph panel?4364364_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-25um14_05_28.png.c3705d79a73e30ae529630afe7a84ebd.png

Reason why: 
1. Instantly find similar glyphs in a glyphset / range and not have to search through the whole Glyphset
2. To check if it is the right glyph (info text + code in the glyph)

2. Show missing glyphs

! Dangerous !
Missing glyphs are not shown. How may I know if the glyphs are not present in the specific font? OK, I can check it in the preflight. But it would be better if I get it displayed directly in the text field:

2013483537_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-25um13_47_51.png.538c4a5cdce64a3850008ef824e97c66.png

Yes, I think it's sometimes a helpful feature to rely on Apple's internal fallback for missing glyphs, but for professional workflow it's very dangerous because you never know in which font the missing glyph is displayed and exported in PDF.

3. Make a high contrast appearance

Why are the glyphs grayed out? All glyphs are very blurry / fuzzy to recognize. More contrast would help to see the glyphs even better.

Please make the visualisation in 100% Black on 100% White. Or at least 100% black.

841529861_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-25um13_56_17.png.e6d9a809cee48d6ee8b8b4f10b6138eb.png

And yeah, 4. Maybe we should be given the option to scale the glyphs even further than the largest size at the moment?

Reasons: 
- 5K displays
- small diacritics hard to distinguish
- Fonts with very similar glyph alternatives with differences in details.

→ I think all of the suggestions are just a small thing, but it helps for a good feeling in a subtle way dealing with glyphs

I'm sure a lot of other publisher users would be very happy about it too! ;)

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2021 at 2:15 PM, sbe said:

1. Jump directly to the selected glyph
Is it possible to directly highlight the selected glyph in the text field in the glyph panel?

1 hour ago, duon said:

hi, did you find the way in number 1. please?

If you have a Mac keyboard, instead of the Affinity Glyph navigator, you could select a glyph in the text and press the Globe/fn key (🌐). This opens Apple's characters viewer and presents you the selected glyph. 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:15 PM, sbe said:

Yes, I think it's sometimes a helpful feature to rely on Apple's internal fallback for missing glyphs, but for professional workflow it's very dangerous because you never know in which font the missing glyph is displayed and exported in PDF.

If you want to know what are the fonts embedded in your PDF, you can open it with Acrobat Reader and press cmd/ctrl-D. 
Though this will not tell you what are the glyphs concerned… 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 6:38 PM, Oufti said:

If you have a Mac keyboard, instead of the Affinity Glyph navigator, you could select a glyph in the text and press the Globe/fn key (🌐). This opens Apple's characters viewer and presents you the selected glyph. 

thank you for tip, but this unfortunately dost not work for me. this only opens emojis, not the selected character.

2 hours ago, duon said:

thank you for tip, but this unfortunately dost not work for me. this only opens emojis, not the selected character.

I'm sorry to hear that. It must be some Keyboard system setting that differs but I don't see which… 

P.S. It could also be related to what's chosen in the '(…)' menu at the top left. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.