You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to set up my workspace so I see the drawing area with the scroll bar immediately to the right of it, and my studio setup to the right of that.

Is there a way to do that? Right now the scroll bar is right of the studio, and if I try to move the studio right of the scroll bar, for some reason it maximizes the studio to take up the whole window. I have to close and re-open the studio to fix it, which is frustrating.

Hi,

can you provide a mockup of you planned setup? just use a snipping tool or screen-capture, and create a photo showing your intended layout.

I did not fully get it from your textual desription. For me it seems identical to the default setup (see screenshot)

image.thumb.png.da985f5d8666f35ec3e9ac1c8048cd07.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, V.N. said:

I would like to set up my workspace so I see the drawing area with the scroll bar immediately to the right of it

If you don’t see a scrollbar immediately to the right of the drawing area, it means you don’t need one. Try zooming in.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

If you don’t see a scrollbar immediately to the right of the drawing area

Is that a Mac (or iPad) observation?

On Windows I always have a scrollbar

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

There is a scrollbar, but it's to the right of my studio, which I find awkward. I would like the studio to be furthest right.

I do need one, because I always work zoomed in, and it doesn't look like the default in the first reply, which is exactly what I want. Can it be because of my studio snapping?

Edited by V.N.
aditional info

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Is that a Mac (or iPad) observation?

Neither! Just a guess about Windows.

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

On Windows I always have a scrollbar

Thanks. I’m not on my Windows box right now, but I took the OP’s word for it that the scrollbar is absent and I thought that might be explained by the Affinity apps behaving the same way as other Windows software.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, V.N. said:

There is a scrollbar, but it's to the right of my studio, which I find awkward. I would like the studio to be furthest right.

Can you upload a full-size screenshot with a document open?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, V.N. said:

I assumed you were describing the scrollbar associated with Studio. Are you saying that it actually scrolls the drawing area but it’s positioned in the wrong place? :/

Alfred spacer.png

Try putting them into the right hand studio, they are just floating.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, V.N. said:

I don't have my snapped studio segments

You can drag any panel by its title bar to add it to, or detach it from, a panel group. When you drag a panel or a panel group to the Studio, you’ll see a highlight indicating where you can dock it.

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, V.N. said:

image.thumb.png.8ec81a0afacebe2685030f0419980e8d.png

Your studio panels are floating on top the drawing area (not docked)

You can have 2 columns of studio panels on the right-hand side but they have to be docked for the drawing area to have its scroll bar immediately to the right of it

Reset Studio is the best place to start then dock one of the studio panels to the left of that main panel then arrange stuff how you want them in the 2 docked panels (see below).

It can be tricky moving the panels so they are docked but it just takes a bit of trial and error

docked.png

FWIW, a new 1.9.x feature (at least on Macs & I assume on Windows too) is the ability to save & recall different custom workspace arrangements as Studio Presets. The last few items in the Customizing the Workspace help topic explain how this works.

Because it can be tricky to keep everything arranged & docked as you might like, it might be a good idea to save at least one if not more presets so you can quickly get back to the one you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

It can be tricky moving the panels so they are docked but it just takes a bit of trial and error

Am I right in assuming that the window layout in your last screenshot can't be reproduced with the Mac version? You seem to have a second panel column docked to the right, and as far as I can see, this is still not possible under macOS.

6 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Am I right in assuming that the window layout in your last screenshot can't be reproduced with the Mac version? You seem to have a second panel column docked to the right, and as far as I can see, this is still not possible under macOS.

Right. The mac versions currently support only one left & one right docked Studio panel column, not two on the same side of the document window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

On Windows it's not just a second column you can have. You can have 3,4,5 etc. It's appears just to be limited by your screen size

Likewise, you can also dock multiple columns to the left

• 1 month later...

Please see 2 screen shots attached.

Is there any way to lock the 2 lower panels ( the Layers and Transform "groups" ) in place?

When I reduce the window they stay where they were as in the maximised view.

I know I can have 2 columns, but that's not what I want.

2021-05-14_15h30_36.png

2021-05-14_15h29_50.png

3 minutes ago, MikeK36 said:

Is there any way to lock the 2 lower panels ( the Layers and Transform "groups" ) in place?

When I reduce the window they stay where they were as in the maximised view.

It looks as though you simply had those panel groups floating on top of the maximized app window. Try dragging them to the Studio when the app window is ‘restored down’: if they lock into place, they should remain correctly positioned when you maximize the window again.

Alfred spacer.png