You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I cannot upgrade to 1.9.1 version

Hello, 

I have problem with upgrade I cannot solve.

I am trying to upgrade from version 1.7.3 to 1.9.1. This is impossible on my laptop as I get setup failed.

Logs say nothing to me (6 lines tail of the 😞

+Starting MsiOperation
+MsiOperation result: 2
+Setting result page message: Setup failed
+Switching to page: Result
+Operation finished
+Main window close requested

I was able to catch minidump of the upgrade executable (I unpacked the distribution and manually ran App.exe file).

I tried to upgrade .Net framework (install SDK) as well as install new graphic card drivers with no result.

Could you please give me any hint I can use to be able to upgrade?

SetupUI_2021-03-24_22-38-15.png

App_exe.5948_minidump.dmp

Edited by Forseti
no signature needed

Hi, all

The update from me is I managed to run App.exe (from unpacked installer file affinity-photo-1.9.1.exe) without crashing. It means I have now standalone version of Affinity Photo 1.9.1 but I am unable to run setup in the form of: SetupUI.exe /x=544 /y=257 /Operation=Install /InstallPath="C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo" /WantShortcut=True which is invoked during normal update process.

I was thinking about uninstalling previous version I have: 1.7.3 but I am bit afraid 1.9.1 will stop working for some reason (some registry settings?) and I will stay with nothing...

Still, I would appreciate any hints or ideas from your side

(I am aware of this section in FAQ: [FAQ] Installer Errors, Setup Failed & Installer Windows UI Issues but this didn't help me).
(I am using Windows 7 Home Premium OS)

Edited by Forseti

• Staff

We've just released 1.9.2. I would download this update and see if you get the same issue. If you do, please sent me your setup log files or use the Microsoft's Uninstall Troubleshooter app to remove the old version first: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

Hello, thank you for the information.

The problem with 1.9.2 version is the same. 

1. I used trouble shooter to uninstall previous version of Affinity.

2. I chose default location for installing Affinity as it cannot find any Affinity Photo app installed in the system (also chose non-default location C:/Affinity; also tried to turn antivirus off during installation).

3. Setup failed.

I am attaching setup log file.

I can still unpack the distribution and run App.exe which works fine - I have kind of standalone distribution then.

SetupUI.log

Hmm, your system version is listed as VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT, so Windows 7 with SP1 (...according to the dmp file), is it a 64-bit Windows 7 version you are running? - If yes, you probably may need to update your Windows 7, with the Windows 7 Service Pack 2 (64 Bit) and then give the installation a retry.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

34 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

you probably may need to update your Windows 7, with the Windows 7 Service Pack 2

I don’t think there’s anything named ‘Service Pack 2’ for Windows 7 (not officially, anyway).

Users of Windows 7 need not only SP1 but also the Platform Update in order to be able to install and run recent versions of the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think there’s anything named ‘Service Pack 2’ for Windows 7 (not officially, anyway).

That one usually contains all updates for Win 7 so far available at once!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

(Sorry for a long pause but I didn't want to mess up with Windows when remote school was in place...)

I installed windows7 "service pack 2" (file: windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9) but it doesn't change anything. I still get the same error as usually: setup failed. I am attaching log file. 

Are you really supporting Windows7 installation ? Did you try to install Affinity on Windows 7 computer by yourself anytime recently using version 1.9.x ? Maybe Windows7 is unsupported as for today and you are just unaware of it ?

SetupUI.log

7 minutes ago, Forseti said:

I installed windows7 "service pack 2" (file: windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9) but it doesn't change anything.

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-da9b2435-2a1c-e7fa-43f5-6bfb34767d65:

We intentionally did not include any specific post-Service Pack 1 updates in convenience rollup 3125574 for which the following conditions are true:

• They don’t have broad applicability.
  • They introduce behavior changes.
  • They require additional user actions, such as making registry settings.

You may download and install such fixes manually after you determine whether they apply to your deployment scenarios.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
On 5/3/2021 at 12:09 PM, Forseti said:

Hi,

(Sorry for a long pause but I didn't want to mess up with Windows when remote school was in place...)

I installed windows7 "service pack 2" (file: windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9) but it doesn't change anything. I still get the same error as usually: setup failed. I am attaching log file. 

Are you really supporting Windows7 installation ? Did you try to install Affinity on Windows 7 computer by yourself anytime recently using version 1.9.x ? Maybe Windows7 is unsupported as for today and you are just unaware of it ?

SetupUI.log 7.68 kB ¡ 4 downloads

Our apps should install on Window 7 without any issues. I know it sounds simple but have you tried restarting your machine and trying again? The log points to PendingFileRenameOperations which often get resolved by restarting the machine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, Leigh said:

Our apps should install on Window 7 without any issues. I know it sounds simple but have you tried restarting your machine and trying again? The log points to PendingFileRenameOperations which often get resolved by restarting the machine.

Hello,

Thank you for the hint. Yes, I was restarting multiple times. Always getting "setup failed".

Did you really try installing version 1.9.x on Windows7 machine by yourself? This is rare configuration nowadays. I think the problem started only after some specific version number. For sure 1.9.x is uninstallable for me. I am really curious if you tested the installation process of the neweset version of Affinity on Windows7 machine...

On 5/3/2021 at 1:18 PM, Alfred said:

Hello,

Indeed, it seems convenience rollup doesn't contain all updates. Still, they do not look like critical to the problem I have.

Do you suggest I still should manually install all of them?

You may download and install such fixes manually after you determine whether they apply to your deployment scenarios. Specifically, the following fixes are not included in this convenience rollup:

2620264 You cannot start any RemoteApp applications through a Windows Server 2008-based or later Terminal Server or RD Gateway
2646060 An update that selectively disables the Core Parking feature in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 is available
2647954 The PIN dialog box does not appear or you are presented with all the certificates in the store when you try to access a WebDAV server in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
2663685 Changes that are not replicated to a downstream server are lost on the upstream server after an automatic recovery process occurs in a DFS Replication environment in Windows Server 2008 R2
2695321 IPsec session takes 5 to 6 minutes to connect to a storage controller on a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2
2727994 You cannot open or save Office 2010 documents on a WebDAV file server on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
2728738 You experience a long logon time when you try to log on to a Windows 7-based or a Windows Server 2008 R2-based client computer that uses roaming profiles
2750841 An IPv6 readiness update is available for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2
2752259 An update that improves the performance of the Printbrm.exe command-line tool in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 is available
2891144 Application does not draw polylines correctly when you run it through an RD Session in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
2898851 Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1: May 13, 2014
2907020 "Location is not available" error when you access a mapped network drive after Windows standby or resume
2918833 Third-party IMEs give users unprotected access to your Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based system
2923766 Black screen when you plug in a monitor on a computer or open a lid of a laptop that is running in Windows
2925489 You cannot establish an IPsec connection with certain third-party devices in Windows
2990184 A FIPS-compliant recovery password cannot be saved to AD DS for BitLocker in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
2781512 - WinRM operations to Hyper-V fail on a Windows 7 SP1-based or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computer that has Windows Management Framework 3.0 installed
2823180 - Update is available for Windows Management Framework 3.0 in Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, or Windows Server 2008 SP2
2802886 - You cannot register an SPN from a Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012-based client computer in a disjoint namespace
2842230 - "Out of memory" error on a computer that has a customized MaxMemoryPerShellMB quota set and has WMF 3.0 installed
2887064 - The Start-Process cmdlet ignores the "-Wait" parameter when the cmdlet is started remotely on a Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, or Windows Server 2008 SP2 computer that has Windows Management Framework 3.0 installed
2889748 - High memory usage by the Svchost.exe process after you install Windows Management Framework 3.0 on a Windows-based computer
2830615 - $MyInvocation.MyCommand object is set to null when you run the script by using PowerShell 3.0 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012

53 minutes ago, Forseti said:

Indeed, it seems convenience rollup doesn't contain all updates. Still, they do not look like critical to the problem I have.

Do you suggest I still should manually install all of them?

If you’re already running SP1 and you’re still getting “setup failed” after installing the convenience roll up, I suggest that you separately install the Platform Update and then try again.

Alfred spacer.png

On 5/27/2021 at 11:55 PM, Alfred said:

If you’re already running SP1 and you’re still getting “setup failed” after installing the convenience roll up, I suggest that you separately install the Platform Update and then try again.

Thanks for the hint. I already have KB2670838 installed.