Jump to content

merging ("adding") letters converted to curves


Recommended Posts

I'm running into an issue I'm sure is user error, but I can't figure it out and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  What I'm attempting to do is convert script-style text (with stroke and no fill) to shapes, and then merge together the letters so I have one nice, neat outline.  I've converted the text to curves, ungrouped it, and then am using the "add" option from the context menu to merge the shapes into one.  Most of the time, this works exactly as expected, to get rid of the ugly overlap.  But occasionally, it's deleting a letter when I do this, and I can't figure out why so I can work around it.

e.g. I start with the text attached as screenshot Mercy1.  I can meld most of the letters together as seen in screenshot Mercy2.  But if I try to combine the R, I get the weirdness shown in screenshot Mercy3.  Why?

Mercy3.JPG

Mercy2.JPG

Mercy1.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @a2jc4life,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Adjust the kerning of the letters as necessary as a text object (so they overlap as you wish) then click the Add button.

I got pretty similar weirdness using "add" without converting to curves first.

@GarryP, your way worked better, but it made all the "holes" in the letters disappear.  (E and y no longer had loops.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's Blackjack.  And yes, @MEB, that's what I'm trying to accomplish.  Mine definitely didn't act like that, though; I don't understand why yours and mine didn't behave the same way.  It's the not understanding that's bugging me, because not only can I not sort out how to finish this project; I don't know how to avoid the same problem with future projects.

I'm running Windows 10.

I tried smoothing the curves as @thatGuy suggested, and that isn't doing the trick, either.  That video is a good illustration of the kinds of weird results I keep getting, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I got it.  The solutions offered here helped, if only indirectly.  I realized, fiddling around with it some more after my last reply, that smoothing the curves didn't seem to be smoothing them as much as I would have expected. Some more poking around on the forums suggested an alternate method, of converting the nodes to "smart" and then selecting action>smooth curve.  That removed a lot more nodes, and I was able to successfully combine the letters after that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.