You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.9.2.229] Layers linking bug: unwanted rotations

• Staff

Hi IPv6,
How did you create the Existed Mask layer? Have you copied it from another document or manipulated it earlier somehow?
The issue seems related with a previous transform applied to this mask. If you go to the Channels panel, select the respective mask channel (Existed Mask alpha), right-click on it, select Create Greyscale Layer, switch to the Move Tool and inspect the bounding box you will see the mask was rotated 90º anti-clockwise. I will see if i can reproduce the issue here from scratch and log this.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi IPv6,
How did you create the Existed Mask layer? Have you copied it from another document or manipulated it earlier somehow?
The issue seems related with a previous transform applied to this mask. If you go to the Channels panel, select the respective mask channel (Existed Mask alpha), right-click on it, select Create Greyscale Layer, switch to the Move Tool and inspect the bounding box you will see the mask was rotated 90º anti-clockwise. I will see if i can reproduce the issue here from scratch and log this.

This is a stripped down version taken from document that was not created by me, so it is hard to tell for now how exactly this happened // although i can tell that document was scaled up (by canvas resize) and probably document (not mask itself) was rotated left-right for drawing, earlier. Mask itself was never really used or manually rotated (there were nothing to rotate before - completely white)

Are there any way to quickly reset such rotation? Something like "rasterize mask to mask again". or clearing content/fill single color - may be it could clear transformations too...

23 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi IPv6,
Delete the existing mask (it's an empty mask anyway) and create another clicking the Mask button on the bottom of the Layers panel. It should then work correctly/as you'd expect.

In this particular case yes, this is the option... But still, this looks like shady way to accidentaly ruin something without noticing (changes may be subtle and zoom in and inspect every pixel to check every operation is not feasible). For example with the case above layer mask preview stays perfectly valid (so it is not properly depicting content in this case)

I found the case when masks starting to act weird. This is about document rotation, seems there is a bug with mask rotation. Steps:
1) rotate document 90 degrees
2) create mask
3) rotate document -90 degrees.
4) Link pixels to mask pixel data, created at step 2.
Linked data will be rotated and shifted, while it definitely should not. Look at video for reproduction

Looks like there is a problem somewhere. Visually everything will be the same, document is rotated back EXCEPT the mask. Because mask should be unrotated with the document as well, to the state similar to all other layers before step (1). But in fact it is still rotated and additionally shifted

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still a problem in (1.9.4.242). Actually now it is slightly better - no shift, only rotation - but still, masks created in rotation are not "the same" as the rest of masks in document. Algthouh they are looks the same and in many cases behave the same (except linking)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.