You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a folded newspaper on A1 size paper?

Hi,

My name is Max, from France, and this is my first message here on the forum. Thank you for reading me :)

Working in Affinity Publisher. I am in charge of the design, layout and export of the file for printing for a local newspaper.

The newspaper will be printed on A1 paper (59.4 x 84.1 cm or 23.4 x 33.1 in) or similar + bleeds. And then folded in half to A2, the again in half to A3, and then again in half to finish in A4 (21 x 29.7 cm or 8.3 x 11.7 in). It will allow, on some special edition to have articles on one side and on the other side when fully open a full size poster. It is I must admit a bit special and make it a bit funny to read. And on other usual edition, just more space for articles and illustrations or photos (like on the example photos enclosed).

I wonder how to go about it since as you may imagine, with the folding in half multiple times (zines lovers around? ) some page are upside down or to the side. Enclosed you will find the recto and verso of an example of a french newspaper called 'Le 1', as you can see the Verso is all good, and easy to layout on A1, it is the 'poster' side, the inside of the newspaper.

Options:

- Should I create a 2x A1 pages (with bleed) and create my master pages taking time to figure out which way which article should go where and make the guides and margins where the folds will happen. If I go this route, which seems to me the best for alignment and margins (for example if there is a poster full page on one side)

OR

- Should I create the 16x A4 pages (resulting of folding A1 3 times) and then somehow put it all together after to end up with an export pdf of 2x A1 pages + bleed? Wouldn't it be a mess with margins. Actually the question maybe is: can I work on an 2 pages A1 document and work on the layout on horizontally, before I rotate the page to accommodate to fold? I don't want to design with my head tilted to 90 degrees for too long ;) Can I create A4 pages and integrate them when ready inside my master A1. 

Sorry if this is confusing, or if my not native English language makes it even more confusing. I hope I am clear enough.

How would you / should I go about it?

Thanks so much for your input!

Have a beautiful day!

Max

Verso.JPG

Recto.JPG

Are you going to print this by yourself? Professional printing services / press houses take 16 X A4 pages layout and impose pages to what printing sheet is needed with imposition software, no need to worry for designer.

Thanks for your reply. It will be printed by a professional printing service. I wonder if it makes my job more difficult with working out which margins goes where as I only see the preview/ result once printed no? And especially for the full size poster or overlapping images, how do I make sure they are printed absolutely perfectly?

1 hour ago, maxch said:

[...] It will be printed by a professional printing service. [...]

Did you try asking them? Some printing services provide templates for some of their products as they want to sell them and hence, make it as easy for potential regular customers as possible.

For something like the newspaper, it'll be most likely an InDesign template, maybe a PDF. Even if it might not work 100% when imported, you might get an idea of how the layout should be done.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Thanks Andy,

I will meet them tomorrow to clarify this. At least is they require an A1 or multiple A4. But with the bleeds and margins that would be aweful to align. I'm used to just export a CMYK file with printers marks (crop and registration marks and color bars).

Cheers,

Max

Is this a one sheet of paper print job? This is set up for one sheet, the bottom pages are not for use, do not export more than the first two spreads. Also I am not sure I understand the size of the sheet, I am probably oversized by two.

4 A0.afpub

2081621496_ScreenShot2021-03-24at10_21_09AM.png.4707aab64bd7aaa374369fa986c5dedb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Bruce! Yes this is a one sheet print job. This is the way I was thinking of going about it, just 2x A1 (I think you went big with A0 ;) ) files for recto and verso + bleeds, printed from a big roll and cut along the trim guides. Thanks for the template. Is there a way to work on the design on let's say page 3 (the A4 version), and then automatically get that design to show up on the big A1? How? I a bit of a noob when it comes to publisher though I purchased and followed a course, it felt too basic and didn't go into such details.

All the very best!

Max