You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

View Bleed Area of Artboard

When viewing page with bleed and "Clips to Canvas" enabled it shows the content of bleed area and its perfect but when you using artboards there is no way to see what is in bleed area. It will be great to have an ability to disable "Clip to Canvas" in artboard or/and show content of bleed area when "Clip to Canvas" and "Show Bleed" enabled

Clip to Canvas is automatically disabled when you have an Artboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, Artem M said:

i can’t see what is in bleed area of artboard [in] this case. 

An artboard is a container, something between a curve (as it can have any shape), a group and a layer. You can move objects outside the artboard via the Layers panel to override its clipping nature.
However:

• if you move those objects while they still "touch" the artboard below, they will "snap" back into the artboard
  • if you move the artboard, the objects placed outside in the Layers hierarchy won't move with it

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I like the way AD operates with artboards and find it useful and logical. But if you deals with printing you have to see what is in bleed area of ready layout. And once again the way it realized in document without artboard is perfect (you can clip to canvas with or without bleed) My feature request is to give an ability to those who deals with printing to see what is in bleed area (for example reacting on flag “Show Bleed” and clip with or without bleed) even in artboard mode because visual control of what you have there is very important in prepress.

3 hours ago, Artem M said:

My feature request is to give an ability to those who deals with printing to see what is in bleed area (for example reacting on flag “Show Bleed” and clip with or without bleed) even in artboard mode because visual control of what you have there is very important in prepress.

Fair enough, and I fully support that request as well.

I'm only offering ways how to achive what you need now, because it could take years until Serif implements it, if at all…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

14 hours ago, Artem M said:

Clip to Canvas is automatically ENABLED when you have an Artboard and can’t be disabled. And the problem is that i can’t see what is in bleed area of artboard i this case. 

It's actually kind of both. It's disabled in that you can see objects that are outside of the artboard, in the pasteboard area:

image.png.443175b9e9e456fe051901f825223e80.png

However, objects are clipped to the Artboard, and if an object is in an Artboard then only the portions within the Artboard will be visible. So in that sense it's enabled.

And that's what causes the bleed problem that you (and I) would like to see fixed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Hi all

For anyone with the same frustration - an important workaround for this issue...
To see what is in your bleed area for a document where clip to canvas is enabled (for whatever reason) use the 'Outline' view to display element edges:

View > View Mode > Outline (Cmd+Y by default I believe).

This may be very confusing for a complex design, but it does at least show what is there.

-------

Major +1 for a "Disable Clip to Canvas and show pasteboard elements with art boards" feature request: displaying bleed area outside of an art board is pretty vital for software that's doing it's best (hooray!) to challenge Adobe. Print is still a fundamental part of communication and bleed is a fundamental part of that.

The clip to canvas feature, while great in terms of an uncluttered design view, is flawed. As soon as a document contains more than one art board (page/canvas/content area - not a discussion I want to get into here) the 'clip to canvas' (shouldn't that be "Clip to art board(s)"?) feature is automatically forced upon us with no way to properly see what's there. I assume this comes from a publishing-for-screen bias where bleed is (generally) not a requirement. I am guessing that the feature works the way it does so that NON RECTANGULAR art boards (wow!) can have clipping (from a developer's perspective). If true this would assume that Affinity are expecting non-rectangular screens to be a thing of the near future.... unless Affinity is preparing us for an 'Assembly' app that uses the elements created in Photo and Designer?

Or am I missing something?

Hi all,

Yes I agree with this feature being added. It should just have the option to toggle between having the bleed area visible and not visible. Would help a lot of designers! A "work around" for this issue is to use Affinity publisher (if you have it) and then you can switch into designer from there if you prefer working in designer. Pblisher is really quick and efficient and you'll have better color accuracy for printing too...just saying.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A hacky trick I use - and I know it's kind of dumb - is:

1) get very obvious post-it and write message to self: "REDUCE ARTBOARD SIZE BY 5mm* ON EACH SIDE BEFORE OUTPUT!"
2) Resize artboard by 5mm* on each side from the center.
3) Work on artwork with visible bleed.
4) Reduce artboard size by 5mm* on each side from the center.
5) Output.
6) Throw away post-it.

*or whatever the bleed is.

I'm embarrassed to admit ... but it ... uh ... does the job.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:43 AM, Lukc666 said:

A hacky trick I use - and I know it's kind of dumb - is:

1) get very obvious post-it and write message to self: "REDUCE ARTBOARD SIZE BY 5mm* ON EACH SIDE BEFORE OUTPUT!"
2) Resize artboard by 5mm* on each side from the center.
3) Work on artwork with visible bleed.
4) Reduce artboard size by 5mm* on each side from the center.
5) Output.
6) Throw away post-it.

*or whatever the bleed is.

I'm embarrassed to admit ... but it ... uh ... does the job.

Hahaha! Lovely metasolution!

The problem comes when you have multiple artboards in the same file, and you have to change one by one.

Still, I will use your solution until some kind-hearted developer read this and fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, javierr said:

Hahaha! Lovely metasolution!

The problem comes when you have multiple artboards in the same file, and you have to change one by one.

Still, I will use your solution until some kind-hearted developer read this and fix it.

Oh, yes, with multiple overlapping artboards it won't work.

And it has one major flaw: me forgetting to resize at the end! Hah. 😅

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous! Am I missing something? I have artwork comprising of three separate panels and the printer requires 20mm bleed yet my exported print pdf files don't contain any visible art within the bleed area.. I've had to export as an EPS and then do it in Illustrator.. I'm trying so hard to get away from Adobe but ridiculous workflows like this keep me stuck.. please tell me I'm missing something here!

• 4 weeks later...

May 2023, still desperately need this fixed.  Maybe serif don't know people use Designer for print?  Well, they should now.  I do all my large format printing in designer - similarly, adobe users employ Illustrator for large format.  Being able to see what's in the bleed is _essential_, else you need to export to pdf just to find out what artwork hasn't reached the bleed area!  Thanks in advance for fixing serif! :). Loving v2 but come on... bleed for artboards :) 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...