You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Has anyone suggested that it would be a good idea to have an object's bounding box handles to always be in view when being moved? It would make it easier to line up objects with guides and construction lines. Currently they disappear when moved.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Signguy,

This wasn't about snapping it was about simply being able to see the handles.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I understand your point now. That's the default behavior in illustrator except illustrator doesn't display the object as it's being moved like Affinity does. That was one of the main reasons I like Affinity over AI.

I would think that it could be easily set up as an option somewhere in the settings if enough people request it. You might want to post this in the feature request section.

Hi MEB,

The best example would moving an ellipse so the handles on the bounding box of the ellipse's minor axis can be aligned with a construction line or guide.

Try drawing a line at some odd angle then try and line up an ellipse's minor axis with the line.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

I see your your point. While it's currently possible to align an ellipse to an arbitrary angled line with considerable precision, it's not 100% accurate. However i don't believe that seeing the bounding boxes will help here, since it will not give you 100% precision. It just lets you visualise the ellipse's axis and position them manually. Ben is working on more snapping improvements that may help solution this.

Hi MEB,

I do appreciate that it is not 100% accurate. There is another way which is more time consuming and that is to create the ellipse and construction line either horizontally or vertically and the rotating both to the desired angle.

However I eagerly await Matt's snapping updates.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0