You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to stop rounding up

Hello @KelRao.

Is this in Designer?

Answer: I suspect it's NOT rounding-up. I'm also not aware of any setting for this (or for the number of decimal places available) in the preferences.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is it rounding-up?

Have I reproduced what you've done below, near enough?

1. I drew a rectangle randomly
  2. In the Transform Studio > tapped Width
  3. Input 1.75"
  4. It rounded down (This might be because I'm in Designer - does Photo round-up?) - It showed 1.7".

Now, question is: is my rectangle 1.75" as input, or 1.7" as indicated? There's no way to tell 👎 (that I know of).

So (snapping on), I began drawing another rectangle snapped to one side of the first one. As I drew the new rectangle so it snapped to the other side of the first one, I got a reading of 1.75".

Therefore the rectangle IS 1.75" as input. (And what a right royal pain in the proverbial carry-on for getting precise size info).

The transform studio with only one decimal point is not confidence inspiring is it @KelRao, especially when dealing with inches?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A long press with "Get Info" alongside Paste etc., would be a great solution, no?

There's two issues here:

1. Easy, quick access to info about a canvas/artboard, or selected object, and…
  2. Precision.

With canvases I have to choose Document > Resize to see what size a custom canvas is (you get 3 decimal points there).

With objects, the Navigation Studio does a fairly good job, but one decimal is not precise enough, especially when needing to work in inches.

Topic below for info (2 yrs old), there maybe others I've not found.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

28 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

I suspect it's NOT rounding-up.

Unfortunately, I think it is rounding up! If I type 1.75 in the Width or Height control in the Transform Studio in AD on iPad it displays as 1.8, and multiplying by 6 gives me 10.8. If I type the expression 1.75×6 the result is 10.5, as expected.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

OK so interesting!  It actually does not appear to be rounding up when I import the image into Cricut DS.  It's off .1 pixel (1.749 to be exact), which I can fix.  I was just losing confidence since I tout this program soooo much in the sewing community I needed to be sure it worked OK on iPad (many don't have desktops).  I do work in "inches" and perhaps if I used pixels, it would be more precise.  I can do that!  Thank you.

P.S.  Yes designer for iPad (I mostly use these products on DT but trying to help others who don't have the $ for such items).

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

it displays as 1.8

He-he.. try this @Alfred.

Draw a rectangle bigger than 1.75". Then go into Navigation Studio, and input 1.75"... I bet 1.8" is displayed (Rounds-up). Then.. draw a rectangle smaller than 1.75".... I bet you get 1.7" (Rounds-down). Entertaining?

Either way, I'm confident it's only a Navigation panel display oddity. The physical rectangle IS 1.75"...

... er, unless we're being really-really precise, like @KelRao, who's into 0.1 of a pixel precision. That's way beyond anything I do - it's a level of precision that feels like quantum physics to me  😁!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

10 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

The physical rectangle IS 1.75"

That’s what I expected, but the result of my ‘multiply by 6’ experiment seems to be at odd with that.

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

If I type 1.75 in the Width or Height control in the Transform Studio in AD on iPad it displays as 1.8, and multiplying by 6 gives me 10.8.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

This happens because the decimals are cut off.

In the desktop version you can change the amount of decimals shown in the Transform panel. 

On the MacOS version there are setting for changing this. ( Not sure how it work on the iPad version ) 
You can find them under Preferences -> User Interface -> Decimal places for Unit types. 
Here you can set decimal places for inches, centimeters, millimetres, etc. 

I've bumped most of them to 3. So the width and height fields shows up to 0.000 mm when needed.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.37.03.png

Edited by Mads Hansen

• 2 weeks later...

In Publisher 1.X, when I use the up and down arrows while the cursor is in the text box inset dialog box, the increment moves up by .1" which is the control I want. In Publisher 2.0, the increment is in whole inches only! Obviously, this won't work well with narrow columnar text :-). We are a newspaper and use a lot of text boxes and set the inset with the arrow keys all the time. How do we get the increment to increase .1" at a time like in 1.X version of Publisher? Thank you!

• 1 month later...